Resolved in a New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

With every year comes the typical New Year’s Resolution and with those come the typical resolutions. Everyone seems to have a resolution to lose weight and to eat better then a few weeks later it gets lost.

Well making a resolution that is something from the typical run of the mill resolution would be better and different from everyone else. When I was younger one of my friends made a resolution to learn how to juggle. It was something she always wanted to do and a skill not completely necessary, yet it was interesting to her. In a few months with practice she was able to juggle. Yes we were around 12 not 20, but it was different and definitely a memorable resolution.

Maybe learning to juggle may not seem important to you so you can do something more centered on school and something that may be obtainable.

·         Actually go to that pesky 8 am even though bed is way more comfortable
·         Go to all of your classes even those where the professor just reads the power point you never know when extra credit may be given
·         Visit the library (not the bar) before the week of finals
·         Get exercise without having to go to the gym, there is a reason Western’s campus is considered a “walking campus”. 
·         Read all the readings assigned in class see if it helps your grade

There are definitely other resolutions that just take a little bit of thinking. It is true that January has already started, but the year is still new. There is over 350 days to make and keep or break a resolution so why not make one now? You may want to lose weight and eat healthier, but make those life style changes not resolutions.

Make a resolution something to do with school or something completely random. Just make a resolution that is unique to you and something different. I’m choosing to complete all the assigned for my classes. What will you do? Leave us a comment!

Editor: Katelyn Kivel

Katie King is a senior at Western Michigan University majoring in journalism and minoring in anthropology and gender and women's studies. This will be her second year writing for HerCampus and before that she wrote for the Western Herald. She also wrote for L7 women's magazine in the summer of 2012. In her spare time Katie likes to hang out with friends, watch reruns of old shows and talk about why Chicago is better than Michigan. When she graduates she hopes to move to New York with her tabby cat, Ellie and write for a fashion magazine. However, she changes her mind quite often so who knows where she will end up!
Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.