“O Yah Overly Used Sayings, Yah”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

Missed an episode of Jersey Shore and all of a sudden you felt light years behind in 21st century lingo? Hash mark guido sayings are instantly trending via Twitter? Well, I for one, never personally watched Jersey Shore, so when waiting for Big Daddy Taxi to pick me up and overly drunk college students scream “Cabsss are hereeee,” left me completely and utterly confused.

But, however long these phrases or sayings have been around, they still are capable to bust out a smile or laugh from the people around. For instance, the movie Borat, released in 2006, still makes me uncontrollably laugh. “You will neverrr get this.” “Very nice, how much?” There is just something about quoting movies; it is one of my favorite downtimes. Okay, not really, but movie quoting has shown to be a powerful tool when on a date and you are at loss of things to say. Trust me, I find that guys thrive on this stuff. (It may even give you bonus points)

So asking some of my friends, I came up with some of the funniest movies/reality shows to quote. Sorry for those who try to watch a movie for the first time and your friends quote every line before it happens. Or they say, “OMG, OMG, the funniest part is coming up. Ready, ready.” Oh yes, I may or may not be guilty of this. But that’s beside the point.

Jersey Shore
Of course I have to start with this show. Since I can’t possibly go a day without my roommate showing me something on Youtube of what Mike the Situation said or of Snooki getting punched in the face. Three letters. G. T. L. For those of you that live in an anti-media cave, they stand for Gym, Tan, Laundry. Sad that you can sum up your day in 3 letters, but hey who’s judging. Or you have Mike’s Grenade Free Zone classification system of women’s ugliness. “There’s classes of grenades, it goes like: Grenade, Grenade Launcher, Submarine, Tank…then after the Tank it’s the A-bomb.” So cruel. It’s sad that they get paid so much for stupidity.

The Office

Two words: Steve Carell, who is quite possibly one of the funniest men alive. How will the show ever survive once he leaves? No clue. The Office writing staff is always on their game; they never fail to entertain their viewers. Dwight and Michael alone are two of the most well written characters in TV. Ever ran into a table or hit your head by accident and said, “Ouch, that hurt?” Only to have that sarcastic smart-alecky person respond with, “that’s what she said” (Yes, brother I am indirectly talking to you). No doubt, it is one of the catchiest phrases of TV history. Urban dictionary even recognizes it. Wouldn’t be surprised for Merriam-Webster to capitalize on it any day now.

Zoolander
Hands down, Zoolander is my personal favorite movie to quote. I could go on for days (That’s what she said). See, told you it’s catchy. But seriously, have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking? Or thought you were too stupid to know what an eugoogooly was? This movie definitely gives male models bad names everywhere. Probably even lowers my IQ every time I watch it, but it never fails to brighten my mood.

Mean Girls
Some phrases and sayings are instant hits, such as “YOU CAN’T SIT WITH US” and “she doesn’t even go here,” whereas some simply aren’t as funny. You just can’t make fetch happen, it’s not going to happen. Mean Girls is another personal favorite to quote. If you don’t think so you can go shave your back now, bye.

I know, I know, there are probably a million more movies or TV shows that deserve recognition in this article. Adam Sandler alone has a handful of quote worthy status movies. Such as, Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, The Waterboy, Big Daddy, basically any movie where he didn’t attempt seriousness. Personally, I hated Click and Funny People; I felt depressed leaving the theatre. If you didn’t understand the quotes through out this article, fuh-get about it!” Because frankly, my dears, I don’t give a damn.” (Just kidding, that’s Clark Gable talking, not me).