Novembeards… Really?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

Well, it’s that time of year again. November–or better known as, “No-Shave November.” The month where the most Big Foot and Sasquatch sightings take place. Now, this may be the time where men can (try to) show off their manly beards, but most of the time it’s an epic fail. There’s a difference between “hairy” and “scary,” people!

No-Shave November has been going on for a long time, originally starting off as the month where men grew moustaches, not beards, to raise awareness for prostate cancer. Over time, though, it has evolved to an entire face of hair. Even women are taking part in this month of hair hell, not shaving their legs, pits, or goodness knows what else. Now here’s where, to me, the month gets a little crazy. It’s all fun and games until you can comb your fingers through your leg hair, ladies.

People are even going to the extent of not shaving during the other months because they’re participating in Don’t-Shave December, Just-Don’t-Shave January, Forget-to-Shave February, Manly March, etc. If you really have not shaved for this long, it’s not for the fun of a month; you are simply lazy and looking for an excuse not to shave! If you’re going to grow a beard out, at least have some pride, guys.

“It’s unprofessional,” said Jenna Proffitt, a freshman here at WMU, when asked her opinion on the no-shaving “fun.” That statement could not be any more true! Showing up to an interview looking like Tarzan probably doesn’t help you out much in the long run. Unless you’re a paid, beefy-looking model who can make a beard look good in a heartbeat, leave it to the professionals.

This month can be fun for some, and has great intentions, but for most people; you just end up looking a little ridiculous. Whether it’s the guys who can’t even grow a beard and end up with that awkward looking fluff on their faces, the men whose faces look like a lumberjack’s armpit, or the women wearing a skirt and are mistaken for wearing pants, please save us–and yourselves–the hair humiliation, and shave!

Editor: Noel Carlson

Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.