Looking Good for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

Being a college student on a budget is difficult enough. But with the holidays quickly approaching, students start to feel the pinch. With all the money spent during the holiday season, it can be challenging to find fashion forward pieces on a college friendly budget.  Surprisingly enough though, there are a lot trendy clothes on the shelves right now if you know where to look. With stores like Forever 21, H&M, Windsor, and American Eagle, finding the right dress just got a whole lot less stressful. Here are a few ideas to make your holiday dress shopping a little easier.

This beige and metallic dress from American Eagle is not only affordable, but perfect for a holiday party. With a sweetheart neckline and empire waist, this dress enhances the female figure in all the right spots. It also has pleating, making it flattering on almost any body type. Pair it with matching metallic shoes, and you will surely make an entrance, no matter what type of holiday event you’re attending.

AE Brocade Party Dress: American Eagle, $59.50 
Cragar: Aldo, $38.49                    
Delicate Agate Slice Necklace: Urban Outfitters, $34.00       
Pavé Feather Drop Earring: Piperlime, $24.00

This dress is not for the faint of heart. With its bold red color, short hemline, and cascading ruffles down the shoulder, it will be sure to grab major attention. Perfect for a fun New Years Eve party, or a night out on the town.   Paired with a leopard clutch for a look on the wild side and patent leather pumps, you’ll be an instant knockout. Not to mention, the price point is perfect for a budget conscious fashionista.

One Shoulder Cocktail Dress: Windsor, $39.50  
Embossed Leopard Print Clutch: Forever 21, $15.80
Capecoral: Aldo, $59.98                                                   
Tiered Cross Earrings: Forever 21, $6.80

Lace is a major trend this season, so this pretty, feminine dress will surely make a statement. It has a modest neckline, pleated skirt, and short hemline. So it’s perfect for any girly girl. To pull off that ballerina vibe, add a chic bun and some peachy accessories. 

En Crème Layered Lace Full Skirt Dress: Nordstrom, $74.00       
Snake Drop Earring: Piperlime, $26.00
Metallic Leatherette Belt: Forever 21, $3.80             

This rouge sleeveless dress with a conservative neckline and tuck front detailing is fashion forward and sassy. This dress is relatively simple, so it can be dressed up in many different ways. A fun sequin jacket and black wedge boots add texture and some amped-up style. Another great thing about this dress is its versatility. It can be worn to just about any type of event or party because it can be dressed up for a more glam look, or paired with simple cardigan for a more casual feel.

Tuck Shift Dress: Topshop, $95.00     
Square Pendant Necklace: Forever 21, $6.80                                       
Wave Shaped Leggings: Love Culture, $5.90                    
Genista: Aldo, $79.98
Sequined Open Jacket: Forever 21, $32.80

As you can see, finding a great dress for the holidays on a budget may not be as troublesome as you may have expected. If you know where to look, you can be trendy without breaking the bank. What will you be wearing this holiday season? Leave us a comment and let us know!

Editor: Gena Reist

Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.