This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

Soulmate: /ˈsōl ˌmāt/ noun. A Person who is perfectly suited to another in temperament. All of my life, the word soulmate got tossed around. I would hear the word and imagine some beautiful princess-type in a flowing dress with wind-tousled hair as she kissed her handsome prince. The idea of a soulmate came with a connotation of magic. Something fairytale-esque.

I was a freshman in high school when I met my soulmate. But, no, my soulmate does not resemble that of a six-foot handsome prince with a chiseled jawline. She was around 5’5 and had curly dark hair. She was my best friend. Not a lover. Not a romantic partner. Not a Zac Efron type boy who makes you swoon every time he winks at you.

I never expected finding the other part of my soul entwined in a girl instead of the prince I had always pictured. We are twins. We are inseparable, (even though miles lie between us). We are silly and fun and awkward and comfortable.

Thank you for the long drives on back roads screaming to our favorite songs. From Hannah Montana, to A$AP Rocky and DJ Mustard, to Ed Sheeran and Aly & AJ; we listen to it all, and scream it all at the top of our lungs.

Thank you for dragging my ass to the gym so early in the morning and making hardcore workout plans with me just so that we can eat our weight in triple chocolate meltdowns from Applebee’s.

Thank you for the photo shoots. And for never posting a bad picture of me just because you look good in it.

Thank you for being scared to grow up. For admitting that the world without monthly shopping trips and money spent at Starbucks is a world that you’re just as scared as I am to live in. Because with age comes responsibility. And bills instead of new shoes. Grocery shopping instead of treating ourselves to frappuccinos.

Thank you for the advice about boys. Even though neither of us have very good advice and have started to realize that we may be too high maintenance for boys anyways (I mean, who needs them when you can live with your best friend someday).

Thank you for the laughs. For being awkward and weird. And for not being afraid to be those things. For embracing your awkwardness full on. For embracing OUR awkwardness.

Thank you for helping me button up my prom dress even though it took ten minutes. Thank you for listening to me rant. Thank you for being my best friend, my twin, my soulmate, even though you’re miles away.

Thank you for giving me everything I needed to find myself and believe in myself.

So this is my thank you to the girl who showed me what fun is. What love is. What loving yourself and loving your life looks like.  

I can only hope that I have done the same for you.

Johanna is the campus correspondent for the WMU chapter and a senior at Western Michigan University. She is studying journalism and political science. She hopes to spend her life writing and influencing the world around her with her words. A member of the Western Michigan University Marching Band, Johanna has been in love with music for as long as she can remember and tries to balance out her busy life between writing and playing music. 
Laura Makarewicz is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Relations and Journalism. Laura loves reading, especially HerCampus, working out and dancing to music on her free time. If she isn't dancing you can see her at Starbucks drinking a nice coffee and doing homework. Laura is part of Alpha Omicron PI at WMU. After graduation Laura dreams about traveling the world and finding a great job in a city.