Learn Something New Every Day: Why Top 40 Music Sucks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

I don’t listen to top 40. Ever. I am forced to listen to it while I’m at work.
The entire time I’m listening to any music I can’t help but over-analyze the song. I really break it down and read into it.

Top 40 is less than challenging. It’s too simple and has terrible lyrics attached to it. I told my friend that the only time I ever listen to top 40 on purpose is…. NEVER. I’m always forced into listening to it, at the bar, work, in the car… only places where SOMEONE thinks everyone will enjoy it. Sometimes I’m at work listening to a song that’s about sex and I’m looking around and all I see is children and old men. I sometimes feel embarrassed that music has gotten to this point.

I’ve listed the top 3 reasons why I hate top 40, but keep in mind I’ve also evolved as a person. When I was in the 8th grade I was into top 40, but that was right before the music scene turned to complete fake and over-produced music. (Hellooooo dubstep.)

Number One: It’s NOT interesting
No, really. It’s not. The “beat” only changes during choruses or verses and is never interesting to listen to. I would NEVER just sit in my room listening to ANY top 40 song. All of these songs are full length too, so 2.30-3.00 minutes long. After a while, the same booming bass line is just exhaustingly annoying. The artists never have a good singing voice and they are all just voiced-over and auto tuned.  “I’m sexy and I know it. I work out.” What?

Number Two: I C@nt under$t@nd it**
As I was looking at the top downloads on iTunes, I noticed a trend. The use of symbols instead of letters. (Ke$ha? Or how about “You da one”) Sometimes, the content of these songs just make the young adult crowd seem stupid! What’s that one song? “I wont blackout”. WE ARE BETTER THAN THIS!! Can you even imaging little children listening to these songs? This is the type of pop culture that ruins people’s self-esteem!! Oh, hey Nicki Minaj, you’re a PERFECT example of why top 40 shouldn’t be played for the 16 and younger crowd. And WHY do radio stations play the same song 3 times in one hour? Are there no other songs you can play???

Number Three: It’s Degrading!
Whether you are a male or female, all top 40 songs have some sort of line that describes what is “sexy”. Like this: “Throw a lot of money at her, then you’ll f**k her”. “What? Lyrics from these songs are just ridiculous and bad. (PS. What kind of name is Pittbull?) Again, Nicki Minaj is the perfect example of this. ALL of her songs are degrading to females. “Stupid Hoe”. I don’t know, maybe I just don’t like songs that tell me to “bounce that a$$” while I’m trying to relax, or ever actually. 

I’m sorry if top 40 is your favorite music, but it’s just an easy way out of finding music you actually like. Listening to a top 40 station is just asking for people to feed you bad music. If you want some recommendations, let me know.

Until Next Time,
-Alyssa

Editor: Katelyn Kivel

Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.