Learn Something New Every Day: WHAT are you wearing?!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

I am by no means any sort of fashionista, but I feel that I can judge when something looks good or not. Or when something looks weather appropriate. Or uncomfortable. I have a few pet peeves about clothes that college-aged people seem to LOVE to do. I want to be surrounded by good-looking people who care about their appearances (and you should too)! Please take my advice and avoid the following mistakes.

Number One: The leggings and Ugg boot combination.
When were leggings alone EVER warm in the middle of the winter? I know that this winter has been especially warm, but still not warm enough for those “pants”. I don’t really have a problem with Uggs, but the combo just confuses me. If its cold enough to wear warm fuzzy boots then you shouldn’t be wearing leggings! Besides, those things get completely ruined by all the salt Michigan winters seem to have. For all the money you are spending on those things, try not to ruin them in one season. ALSO, lets get dressed when we go out into the public! PLEASE WORLD! STOP WEARING SWEATPANTS TO CLASS! You look lazy and like you don’t care about your appearance (when I know you do!!)! I don’t care if they are comfy, you look ridiculous. And God forbid you wear Uggs with sweatpants. Don’t even get me started.

Number Two: Heels.
I LOVE heels, don’t get me wrong. However, Western’s campus is… um…. really hilly. The practicality of this is just not there!! Sometimes I will wear a low heel and my legs/feet/butt will be hurting the entire day! (Especially because I’m typically on campus for more than 8 hours a day.) If you need to wear heels, I seriously advise you to bring them along with you in your backpack or bag/tote. Life will be better, I swear! Let’s be smart, functional girls here!

Number Three: Flip-Flops with skinny jeans.
Just don’t. Please. Flats looks 1,000,000 times better and are much classier. On the other end of the spectrum, don’t wear those puffy “skater” shoes either! That whole style is not fashionable anymore! College is this weird transition time to becoming an adult, and established adults just DO NOT wear flip-flops with their jeans or wear skater shoes. Just go get some cheap Keds or SOMETHING!  Or wear your Uggs with them! I don’t care!

Of course there are a ton of other things that bother me and I’m sure you have a few too (leave a comment saying yours!?) but those are the top three for sure. I hope you take these things into consideration when you are getting prepared for you day.

Look great, feel great.

Until next time!
-Alyssa

Editor: Katelyn Kivel

Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.