Learn Something New Every Day: Some Advice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

LADIES. Let’s get classy here. The past few weeks there has been a girl in one of my classes that thinks it is the best time possible to update her friend on all of her boy problems. I feel like I know everything about her and some guy named Nick. 

There is a time and place for everything.

The 10 minutes before Child Abuse is really not the time, nor should your conversation carry over into class time. I don’t know if you realize this, but there is over 20 people in this tiny classroom that can hear everything you are saying about your “relationship”. Be careful what you are disclosing too! You just told everyone how you stayed over at his house every night this past weekend, and you had sex only once! I also don’t know if you know this or not, but you’re not whispering. The guy I’m sitting next to is shaking his head at your ridiculousness.  

Three years is too long to wait for a guy.

This lovely lady continues to say “I mean, this has been going on for three years!!” Every time she says this I just want to turn around and say that three years is TOO LONG. Find someone else? Even just at Western we have over 25,000 students…. Plenty of fish in this sea, just look somewhere besides the Grotto. Or when you are at Y Bar and you’re not having fun, ask yourself whY am I at this Bar?

There are better guys out there.

Continuing on from my last point… If you keep dipping your ladle in the same pot you’re going to find the same type of guy. Have a night out with the girls somewhere new. There are tons of cool places to go, 21 or not, in Kalamazoo where you can meet dudes who are out looking for a great girl (@cheerskzoo). Get adventurous! You’re in college and I want you to experience everything and feeling uncomfortable at a new place is normal (but exciting!) So give it a try!

Now, I’m not against you telling your friend your problems and getting some suggestions on what to do, believe me I am sooooo guilty of doing that. But lets be honest, before class in a lecture hall is NOT the place. Invite a friend for coffee, or lunch, or go sit on a bench and talk! Hey- If you need me you can email even! 

Until next time!
-Alyssa

Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.