Learn Something New Every Day: New Year, New Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

There is some sort of magic that happens when I drive into Kalamazoo after being home for a visit. It’s like the traffic lights are waving hello and the buildings seem to stand up to greet you to your home-away-from-home. I like to arrive after sunset, where the color is just right before you enter King’s Highway, and the sky suddenly falls dark before you reach the heart of the city. The lights sparkle and shine. The feeling, at least for me, is supportive, welcoming, and for the first time I feel that they are wishing me luck.

This spring is my last semester. I’ve changed my major a few times, I’ve met a completely new set of friends, and I’ve learned enough about myself to determine if I’m in love or not. I’ve learned things the easy way. I’ve learned things the hard way. I still have stuff to learn.

All the while, Kalamazoo has been my city. I have completely changed while living here and I’ll never forget this place.
This year I’m going to commit to spending more time downtown ($4 Martinis on Thursdays at Zazios and NOT going to Waldos? Yes please!). #newyearnewme

Why?
Because there is some kind of magic that attracts me and downtown businesses just love college students. I want to shop, eat, and drink downtown. I’m 22! Time to grow up!

Right?

I’m having this dilemma of realizing what it’s going to be like when I have my diploma. Will I suddenly become boring? Will I become more exciting? Will I have a job? Will I be happy?

I plan on moving to NYC (to be with the man I love!), so I don’t know if it’s even possible to NOT have fun there…. But everything will be and is up in the air!

I’m scared! I’m nervous! I’m excited!

I talk to my friends who have transitioned into the “real world” and they tell me that it’s great, but I’m just being cautious. This is the last four months of my life that I’m still going to be in school; that I’ll still be young and reckless. After this, I have to be more responsible all the time (right?). But even in this next semester I have to pass all my classes (hopefully with a 4.0), search, apply, and interview for CAREERS until I find something, all while continuing working at my standard college kid part-time job.

It’s going to be a tough but super exciting next four months.
For all of you that still have a few more semesters, good luck! Take chances! Have FUN! Make friends! Keep that textbook you really enjoyed! Stand up for something you believe in! LOVE YOUR CITY!

Until next time,
-Alyssa

Editor: Katelyn Kivel

Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.