Learn Something New Every Day: Homeward Bound

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

FINALLY this break has come upon us at WMU!!!  We get a total of 4 days off to go home, relax and eat a ton of home cooked meals (now, not all of us get to be home the entire time, or even for a portion of it, but during our time off school it will be nice to relax!).

But wait, that means going HOME.
If you are anything like me, you absolutely despise going home.

Now, normally I would combat being bored alone at home with going to the bar with some friends… but where I am from it is not a good idea to dress up, drive to the crummy bar, drink (sometimes too much), and drive home (there are no taxis, not public transit, and certainly no DSK in Pinckney, MI). So what are my options then?

Here’s a few that are fun, and not too weird and hopefully you can fit into your busy home-time schedule!

Number One: See a movie!
Not only do I NEVER have time to check out the latest cinematography of the world, but I never have time to relax!! Movies are great to do both of those things. And in our break that is designated specifically for gluttony, it’s a great time to buy a BUNCH of junk food and eat it all during the movie. (ICEEs anyone??)  It will probably be pretty packed at the theater, but think of it as a time to see some of your old friends! I know I always end up seeing people I know when I go to the movies.

Number Two: Hang out with old friends!
Now, you could hang out with your high school friends by going to see a movie, or you could schedule a time to hang out when you run into each other at the theater…. Regardless, it is always fun to see people that you haven’t seen in a while (especially for us 5th year seniors!)

Number Three: SHOPPING!
On average, I go shopping about once a year and its NEVER on black Friday. I just can’t get myself to do it (or get myself up that early).  If you are a black Friday shopper, then this one is easy for you but for us reluctant shoppers its horrible. I tend to do my shopping only when I am home (honestly because mom and dad usually give me some money so they receive really good gifts- selfish, I know!) and Thanksgiving break is a good time to go because there are deals and extras and everything else cool INCLUDING SANTAS.

Anyway, have a great break.
Listen to new music, hang out with your little sibling and your dad. Don’t wish for snow.

Until next time!
-Alyssa

Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.