Learn Something New Every Day: A Break for an Inspirational Quote

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

“I’ve been so many different girls. I’ve been the girl the guy doesn’t care about, who meets her at a bar for a date and it ends in a make out in his car- meaningless and nothing. I’ve been the unattainable girl, the rebound, the girl with a puppy-dog crush, the crazy girl, the desperate girl, the dork, and the heartbreaker. I’ve been a bitch, and a sweetheart, and considered goth or mod or hipster. I’ve been the weird girl, the fancy girl, the fashiony city girl, the naïve girl. All depending on whose eyes are looking at me; Whose eyes I’m being seen through. I’ve been the starfucker, the band fucker, the girl who only dates rock stars or drummers, the girl who only wants to date rich guys or at least a guy who owns a car, the girl who doesn’t care what a guy looks like, the girl who settles, the girl who isn’t picky enough, the girl who’s too picky, the girl who only likes funny guys, the girl who only likes young guys. I’ve been the girl who’s a prude- not sexually, never sexually… but alcohol and drug- wise. I’ve been the flirt, the tease, the confusing girl who leads guys on. I’ve been the mean girl, the cold girl, the girl with daddy issues, the elusive butterfly. all the while, the only variable being the man who was looking at me. and the only constant being me. so I guess when I find the right guy, whatever that means, I’ll know because I’ll be the truest, happiest, best, most balanced version of myself. I’ll be the person I am when I’m all alone, or with friends… only more loved, and, um, not alone… and maybe even contradict myself a little less.”
–Alexi Wasser

This is a quote from one of my favorite blog sites on the Internet (and actually, I get a lot of inspiration from it) imboycrazy.com. Now, I don’t always believe in what the author, Alexi has to say, but for the most part she’s pretty realistic and spot on with a few things… and this is one of them.

As we move from the semester, to finals crazy week, to winter break, we change into different girls because of the different moments in our lives or the different people in our lives.

I wanted you to read this quote and find yourself for just a moment. To remember what you’re doing here at WMU. Whether you are here for your MRS degree or your PHD, I want you to be yourself. Be proud, be exciting, and do what YOU want.

It’s your life! YOUR degree!
Kick butt on your finals and have a great break!

Until spring semester!
(and as Alexi always says, I love you!)
-Alyssa

Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.