Feel your Boobs, Save your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

The word “cancer” has different meanings for everyone. To some, it’s a casual word thrown around in conversation or reference; to others, it’s a memory. And to some, it’s a definition of their life. This week ends the 2011 National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. And while the word may be just another word to you, learning about breast cancer, ways to protect yourself from it and even coping with having it, can be more helpful than you know. 

Breast Cancer Awareness Month is held every October by different organizations and charities to increase awareness of the disease and help raise money for research, treatments, and cures. Every year, scheduled walks are held to help support the cause. While the first “race” as they’re called had about 800 people, over a million people now attend these events! These races can span from just a few miles of walking to 30 miles, where people can remember those lost, be informed about the disease and know that cancer is beatable–not a death sentence.

Diana Stokes, a breast cancer survivor, shared her struggle with the disease. “I was thirty-four when I had breast cancer. Instead of giving in and moaning and groaning, you have to approach it in a positive way,” she shared with determination in her voice. “The more positive you are, the better your recovery, and the ones around you can’t be positive about it unless you are too.” Breast Cancer Awareness Month lets people struggling with this illness know they are not alone.

According to the American Cancer Society, this year alone, 230,480 new cases of breast cancer will be discovered in women and 39,520 women will die from breast cancer. Although that seems like a big number, there are over two and a half million breast cancer survivors in the United States and the numbers of deaths from breast cancer is decreasing! This is thanks to finding cancer earlier and new treatments. Thinking about how many people have lived through this should inspire everyone to take a stand and help fight for a cure!

It’s important to self-inspect yourself on a regular basis. Better safe than sorry. Nobody knows your body better than you, so if anything feels wrong, get checked out immediately! If you have a history of breast cancer in your family, it’s even more important to make regular check-ups with your doctor. Betty Routledge, a two-time breast cancer survivor, stated that the second time she was diagnosed with breast cancer, she felt something was wrong beforehand but ignored the signs because she didn’t want it to happen. And while ignoring warning signs can be easier, in the end it can be a life or death decision.

Despite the fact that this year’s Awareness Month is nearly over, it doesn’t mean nothing is being done! There are always different activities going on, ways to contribute to the cause and different websites and places to go to share your story! Cancer may be just a word to you now, but don’t take it lightly, because it can strike at any moment. Staying aware is the best way to prevent breast cancer. And if this is a word that dominates your life, know you are never alone and don’t have to be; stay optimistic and never stop fighting. 

As Diana Stokes said, “Cancer does not have me, I have cancer.”

Editor: Noel Carlson

Katelyn Kivel is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Law with minors in Communications and Women's Studies. Kate took over WMU's branch of Her Campus in large part due to her background in journalism, having spent a year as Production Editor of St. Clair County Community College's Erie Square Gazette. Kate speaks English and Japanese and her WMU involvement includes being a Senator and former Senior Justice of the Western Student Association as well as President of WMU Anime Addicts and former Secretary of WMU's LBGT organization OUTspoken, and she is currently establishing the RSO President's Summit of Western Michigan University, an group composed of student organization presidents for cross-promotion and collaboration purposes. Her interests include reading and writing, both creative and not, as well as the more nerdy fringes of popular culture.