When Cold Weather Strikes: Tips and Products for Keeping Skin and Hair Healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Frequent changes in weather can make it difficult to keep hair and nails under control. Particularly in Williamsburg, where dependable weather conditions are hard to find and a consistent beauty regimen is nearly impossible to manage. Look below to find the best remedies for dry skin, brittle hair, and many of the other winter doldrums that throw a typical beauty routine for a loop.

Face

It is absolutely essential, no matter the season, to moisturize your face every day. The weight of the moisturizers can change with the season but a quick swipe of lotion is necessary to ward off wrinkles. It is especially important to ensure that skin is well hydrated in the winter season when the air dries out skin even faster than the warmer months. Look for a moisturizer with SPF – it may not seem like it but those UV rays can cause serious damage in the snow, particularly as the sun reflects off of the ground back towards your face. Some of my favorite moisturizers include:

Body

Despite being protected from harsh weather conditions by layers of clothing (unlike the face), the dry air can still affect the rest of the body. Prevent eczema and even more excessive dryness by moisturizing after every shower.  Bonus tip: Don’t be tempted by the dropping temperatures outside to crank up the heat in the shower. The extra hot water can even further dry out hair and skin.

Some of my favorite lotions include:

Hair

Hair is also susceptible to the dropping temperatures. Try to avoid excessive use of blow-dryers or other heated devices and avoid intensely hot showers. Hair responds to the dropping temperature in different ways compared to the body. Some scalps respond to the change in atmosphere by producing excessive oil. Others become increasingly dry and flakey. Some remain the same.

If you have oily hair, you should avoid shampoo that will coat hair in any type of wax (like Garnier or Pantene) but do not pick products that will strip hair of any of its natural moisture. Even when oily, hair needs as much moisture as it can get. For shampoos and conditioners, try

Dry hair needs moisture, moisture, and MORE MOISTURE. Find shampoos that claim to moisturize strands (found in almost any drugstore brand – Herbal Essences especially) and make sure to do a deep moisturizing mask for the strands (not the scalp) once a week. Your tresses will thank you.

Hair that is neither oily nor dry doesn’t need much extra work, just remember to avoid hot showers and protect strands when outside as much as possible by wearing a hat or tucking your hair into your coat. Some of the best shampoos for keeping hair silky and moisturized are:

And excellent shampoo for all hair types this time of year?

Ultimately, despite the hot chocolate, snowmen, and fires that surround the season in a blanket of joy, the body is left to fend for itself in the dropping temperatures. Be wary of dry skin and hair, moisturize frequently, and avoid excessive use of your dorm room’s heater. By following these tips your skin and tresses will be glowing and ready by the time warm temperatures roll around!

Harper is a junior at the College of William and Mary, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Marketing. A DC-Area native, she serves as Co-President at Her Campus William and Mary. She spends her summers interning in Marketing. This past summer was spent in New York City working at OppenheimerFunds as a Digital Strategy Intern, and the year before at Gannett working as a Marketing and Promotions Intern in the Social Commerce Division. She hopes to slowly accomplish a few things on her list of ridiculous dreams including hugging a walrus and voicing a named Disney character in a movie.Blog || LinkedIn || Twitter