What to Wear Under Your Cap & Gown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Graduation day. The end to a glorious four years at college. It’s a big day and you have everything planned out…except what you’re going to wear. After all, you’ll be in a cap and gown that covers your entire outfit. These tips will help you pick out your ultimate graduation outfit. Whether you want to stand out, blend in, or just be yourself, you’re sure to look marvelous on your big day!

#1: The Classic Look

If you want to stay on the conservative side for graduation, try finding a classic black dress, in either an at-the-knee or below-the-knee length, to wear under your robes. This will match your cap and you’ll never look back on graduation photos only to be shocked at what you wore. This classic look pairs well with black pointy toe pumps or a nice pair of flats. Try incorporating your school colors through your shoes to match the trim on your gown and hood. 

#2: The Playful Look

For a look yor friends won’t be able to forget, go with a dress that’s playful and fun. It’s not exactly the right time to break out the bandage skirt, but wear something tasteful while still showing off your personality. If you can’t stand dresses that hit at the knee, or if that length looks unflattering on you, it’s still appropriate to wear mid-thigh dresses. A fit-and-flare dress in a fun pattern can really amp up your commencement style. 

#3: The Vibrant Look

For a look that’s vibrant and fun, while still being professional and conservative, try a workwear dress in a bright color. This look will make sure you stand out in the crowd, and it will look great in photos. Pair this with a bright lip color and neutral shoes. Make sure not to wear your college rival’s colors!