Trendspotting at W&M: Puffer Vests

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Puffer vests are everywhere on the William and Mary campus this winter. Maybe girls are wearing them to keep warm, to be on trend, or to rock that layering. Whatever the reason, you should jump on this trend and have fun with it. Keep reading to learn how the modern “preppy college girl” wears the puffer vest.

L | R

Wear it with a bubble necklace.  To keep your preppy look consistent, throw on a classic bubble necklace. If you have $150 lying around, feel free to get the original from J. Crew.  I suggest searching on Etsy, however, for a more affordable, trend-inspired version. You can find tons of solid colors as well as fun color combinations to match your puffer vest and to glam it up. On campus, I’ve seen a white bubble necklace worn with a kelly green vest.

L | R

Effortless-cool with scarves and belts. A popular pairing I’ve noticed around campus is puffer vests and scarves. Loop a jersey or cotton scarf around your neck once, and BAM: instant casual-chic. On a colder day, stay warm with a chunkier knit scarf or snood. If you prefer a more polished look, cinch your waist by adding a skinny metallic belt over the vest.

L | R

Base your outfit around it. Most girls I’ve seen around W&M wear their vest open, as opposed to zipped or buttoned up. You’ve got to show off that cute shirt, after all! I find that a plaid button-down, dark wash jeans or J. Crew Pixie pants, and cognac riding boots or L.L. Bean Bean Boots complement a puffer vest wonderfully. These options will give you a somewhat rustic but put-together look. For a preppier look, tuck a gingham button-down into dark wash wide-leg jeans and pair with a quilted white puffer vest.

L | R

Solids or patterns? Match a solid top with a solid-colored puffer vest, or make a statement and play with patterns. These vests are excellent for layering, so wear a bright one with a fun striped long-sleeve tee underneath. Pair with a maxi skirt, sunglasses, a chunky chain necklace, and hit the mall!

L | R

Harper is a junior at the College of William and Mary, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Marketing. A DC-Area native, she serves as Co-President at Her Campus William and Mary. She spends her summers interning in Marketing. This past summer was spent in New York City working at OppenheimerFunds as a Digital Strategy Intern, and the year before at Gannett working as a Marketing and Promotions Intern in the Social Commerce Division. She hopes to slowly accomplish a few things on her list of ridiculous dreams including hugging a walrus and voicing a named Disney character in a movie.Blog || LinkedIn || Twitter