The Top 6 Benefits of Transferring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

I transferred to William and Mary in Spring of 2015 because I was looking for a fresh start. I was really unhappy at my previous school and I didn’t fit in. I never had that college feel that all of my friends were talking about.  People always told me I would have this feeling when I found my “home” but I never had that until I transferred.  

Image Source

1. Fresh Start

I transferred to William and Mary in Spring of 2015 because I was looking for a fresh start. I was really unhappy at my previous school and I just didn’t fit in.  I was involved on campus and had a lot of friends, but something didn’t feel right.  I decided that I needed a new place to call home and W&M is the perfect place.

2. Better Education

W&M is one of the best schools in the country and it is filled with very intelligent students and faculty.  Yes, it is a lot of work but it will pay off one day.  I already notice that employers are instantly impressed when I tell them I go to William and Mary.  It is definitely challenging but also rewarding and well worth it.

3. New Friends

There are 6,000 undergrad students and I promise most of them are pretty friendly.  We are all TWAMPS at heart but once you get past the awkwardness, people are pretty awesome! There are also a ton of other transfers and you get to be apart of a pretty cool T-Unit.

4. Different Opportunities

You can be whatever you want to be! There are hundreds of clubs for anything and everything.  You can stick to a club sport you’ve done your entire life or try something new! There are also tons of chances to volunteer in the community and around campus. The opportunities are endless!

5. Beautiful Campus

W&M is filled with historical, beautiful places that my friends and I love to explore.  Colonial Williamsburg is the perfect place to walk, run, or lay out in the sun.  It also has really great ice cream shops and restaurants. Lake Matoaka is my favorite place to run and clear my head. 

6. New Home

I finally understand what it means to have a second home.  It’s this fuzzy feeling you have and you know this is where you belong.  I get the chance to be apart of a community so much bigger than myself.  A community I can always call my family. One tribe, One Family.