Summer 2018 Entertainment Preview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

It can be hard to keep up with all of the happenings in film, television, and literature. But when summer frees you from class and other responsibilities, you have plenty of time to head to the movie theatre, binge-watch a new show, or pick up a good book. Here are some recommendations for summer 2018. 

Movies: 

Life of the Party (May 11)

Melissa McCarthy stars as a mom who goes back to college—at the same school her daughter attends. This comedy looks like the perfect film to bond over with your mom on Mother’s Day weekend! 

Solo: A Star Wars Story (May 25)

One of the many franchise films coming out this summer, Solo, tells the origin story of everyone’s favorite smuggler—Han Solo. Starring Alden Ehrenreich and Emilia Clarke, this is sure to hold you over until Episode IX. 

Ocean’s 8 (June 8)

Sandra Bullock leads the female heist crew in this spinoff from the male-driven Ocean’s series. What looks to be a perfect mix of comedy and action, this star-studded film is one of the most anticipated of the summer. 

The Incredibles 2 (June 15)

It feels like The Incredibles initially flew under the radar but developed a very passionate fan base. And 14 years later, it’s getting a much-deserved sequel. The original cast is returning, and the trailer promises that we will see more iconic interactions between Frozone and his wife! 

Television:

Sweetbitter (May 6 on Starz)

Based off of a best-selling novel, Sweetbitter pulls back the curtain on the New York City restaurant business. This half-hour drama looks to be the perfect length for when you don’t want to spend all day in front of the TV. 

The Break with Michelle Wolf (May 27 on Netflix)

Michelle Wolf (a William and Mary alum) is a fantastic comedian who shot to stardom on Late Night with Seth Meyers and The Daily Show. Now, she is getting her own show on Netflix—get ready to laugh!

100 Code (May 29 on WGN America)

This international murder mystery could be the next great European import series. And the chills it will give you will be a perfect cool down from the summer heat. 

The Bold Type (June 12 on Freeform)

Last summer’s buzzed about series returns for its second season, following young women as they try to break into the magazine world in NYC. The second season is sure to be talked about as much as the first!

Books: 

The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware (May 29)

With thrillers like The Woman in Cabin 10 and In A Dark, Dark Wood under her belt, Ruth Ware has become one of the best thriller authors out there. This summer she returns with another novel about a mysterious death and secrets to be uncovered. 

On The Come Up by Angie Thomas (June 5)

Angie Thomas’s debut novel The Hate U Give was one people could not stop talking about. In her second novel, Thomas tells the story of a teenage girl who must face a host of challenges as she works to become a rapper. 

Give Me Your Hand by Megan Abbott (July 17)

Another novel in the vain of psychological thrillers, Give Me Your Hand is the story of two women who share a secret that only intensifies the competition they find themselves in. This one looks to be the perfect intellectual beach read! 

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.