This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

For about my whole life I’ve had a strong love for music. Whether that be singing, blasting music in the car with the windows down, or doing daily activities with music playing in my headphones. I play music everywhere and anywhere and my music library has become this wonderful chaotic mess, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. It seems that I am always on the search for new, fun, and unique music to add to my collection and to put on my playlists. So I thought I’d share some cool songs that I am obsessed with and that have currently been playing on repeat this week. 

1. Crying Over You by HONNE (feat. RM & BEKA)

My friend who I often steal a lot of amazing music from sent me this song last week and I instantly fell in love with it! The upbeat melody is juxtaposed with sad and relatable lyrics that describe crying over someone and not being able to find a reason why. The song sweeps you off your feet with its pop-like essence, while simultaneously reminding you of that person you can’t get over. It’s a playful mix of moods and melodies that will be stuck in your head for a week. 

1. Telepatía by Kali Uchis

This song has been everywhere recently and I can see why. The blend of Spanish and English lyrics creates a very unique atmosphere to the song, conveying a soft and intimate feeling of love and connection. The steady drumbeat in the background makes it a song to dance to, while the melody also paints an image of lighting candles and cooking dinner (or at least that’s what I do when I listen to it.) Overall, this song feels very empowering and is just really fantastic. 

1. bored & blind by Ella Jane 

Ella Jane is one of my new favorite up-and-coming artists and just recently released this masterpiece of a song. The thing that I love the most about Ella Jane, is her use of allusions in songs that add a creative flair to the lyrics. In this song, about an unrequited crush, she uses a metaphor of her crush stealing her heart and hiding it among stolen art, specifically Mona Lisa. She can relate to the feelings of having a crush and longing for someone from afar, maturely and uniquely. If you like this song, definitely check out her Great Gatsby-inspired song “nothing else i could do.”

1. Country by Racoma 

This song reminds me of a long summer day, with the sun setting and the fireflies coming out as you sit in the backyard and enjoy the cool weather. I play this song when I want to roll the windows down and go for a drive on road by the river. The guitar and vocals pair together in an amazing and fun way, giving the song a groovy and cool atmosphere. Racoma does a great job at captivating the way it feels to love someone else and the spark from the perspective of that lover. 

1. The Basement by Lunar Vacation 

Lunar Vacation is my all-time favorite band, so I had to include my favorite song from them that is always on repeat. The entire song is an absolute sensation! With imagery of being in a basement party and describing the mood and feelings that come along with it, the song is very relatable. The instrumental melody and vocal tracks are steller and form this feeling of being free-spirited and young. My favorite lyrics are “Too tired to act like someone else tonight /  It’s nearly three in the morning.” The love I have for this song knows no bounds, it is perfect to listen to anywhere and everywhere. 

1. hangover cure by Machine Gun Kelly

To mix it up a bit, this is my current favorite song off of Machine Gun Kelly’s new album. The whole album is energetic, cool and edgy with a unique blend of emotional lyrics and an air of pop-punk. Hangover cure is a perfect example of this; Kelly shows the chaotic and raw feelings of a new relationship with an upbeat and resonant guitar and drum track. This is one of those songs that you blare out the window at full volume, singing it at the top of your lungs.

Hi! I'm Elizabeth and I am a member of the class of 2024 at W&M. I plan on majoring in Geology with a minor in Marine Science. On campus I am also involved in the W&M Choir and the Marine Science Society! In my free time I love: to read, cook & bake, find new music to listen to, and spend lots of time on Pinterest!
Major: History/Government Other Involvements: Phi Mu social sorority, Academic Calendar Advisory Committee, Student Leadership Foundation Hobbies: creating dream fashion Pinterest boards, painting canvases, cooking and baking delicious dishes