So Much TV, So Little Time: New Shows to Watch this Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

From HBO to Netflix to network TV, there are so many new television shows coming out that it is literally impossible to watch them all. With this week marking the official start of the new TV season, I sat down and watched some of this year’s new shows to let you know which ones are worth your while!

The Good Place—Thursdays @ 8:30 on NBC

Kristen Bell stars in this comedy about a women who dies. Yeah, that doesn’t sound really funny. While she’s living it up in “the good place,” she realizes that she has been mistaken for someone else. She then sets her sights on becoming a better person, who actually deserves to be in the good place.

For Fans of: Parks and Recreation, The Office

This Is Us—Tuesdays @ 10 on NBC

This show follows four people with the same birthday as they celebrate their 36th birthday. If you’ve seen the trailers, you can tell that this is a tearjerker, reminiscent of Parenthood, dealing with intense struggles that everybody faces.  I wasn’t completely sold on this one, but there is an interesting twist at the end of the first episode that made me want to keep watching.

For Fans of: Parenthood, Gilmore Girls

Notorious—Thursdays @ 9 on ABC

If you are into scandalous, drama filled shows, Notorious just might be for you. This show chronicles the intertwined lives of a hotshot lawyer and TV news producer as they manipulate the headlines. Notorious is filled with lots of mystery, intrigue, and passion. This show is the perfect fit in the Scandal-shaped hole in between Grey’s Anatomy and How To Get Away With Murder.

For Fans Of: Anything Shonda—Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, HTGAWM

Secrets and Lies—Sundays @ 9 on ABC

This show, adapted from an Australian drama, follows the investigation of a woman’s murder, with her husband as the prime suspect. As new suspects emerge, the secrets become more shocking. This show has been described as the television version of Gone Girl, which basically guarantees it will be a fantastic thriller.

For Fans of: How To Get Away With Murder

Now for three special cases—shows that aren’t new, but have changed majorly!

American Horror Story—Wednesdays @ 10 on FX

AHS has completely retooled its setup after a summer of mystery trailers. The theme has finally been revealed as Roanoke, but the overall direction of the season is still mysterious. The format has changed from a scripted drama to mockumentary style ghost show, with “actual” people and re-enactors telling the story of Shelby and Matt and their haunted house. This season is still shrouded in mystery, so catch up on the first few episodes and start swapping theories with you friends.

Scream Queens—Tuesdays @ 9 on FOX

Season 2 picks up after the events of Season 1, with the Emma Roberts-led Chanels working in Dean Munsch’s hospital. With the setting change and some new characters (John Stamos and Taylor Lautner as doctors) the second outing is heading in a promising and hilarious direction.

Quantico—Sundays @ 10 on ABC

After Season 1 wrapped up so cleanly, many wondered what direction subsequent seasons could go in. Well, the answer is to move from the FBI to the CIA. As Alex and the rest of the NATs switch organizations, they face intrigue on international levels. The second season of last year’s best new show looks to be a good one.

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.