Skinny Jeans or Sweatpants? How to Dress When You Are Feeling Lazy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

It has come to my attention that there is another article floating around Her Campus that discusses the question of skinny jeans over sweatpants. This article presented leggings as a possible solution. Ladies, I understand that they are tempting, especially as the temperature continues to drop, but I want to emphasize that the place for leggings and yoga pants is at home or at the gym. They do not belong in a classroom.

In my last article, I presented my reasons for why you should dress to impress every morning, so this time I am going to focus on how to dress to impress when you’re feeling lazy. All of these tips involve on-trend outfits that can be thrown on in five minutes flat and are guaranteed to keep you warm and comfortable this fall.    

1. A sweater and jeans. So easy, right? And yet women everywhere seem to forget that this is an option. Find a sweater that has a thick, soft knit. Check the label – if the sweater is mostly wool, it might be itchy. If you opt for an open style, make sure that it isn’t too long; the sweater should hit no lower than mid-thigh or it will hide the fact that you have a body. For the ultimate amount of comfort, pair this sweater with a cotton tee and skinny or straight-leg jeans.

I promise you, jeans can be comfortable. No, I’m not talking about jeggings, which do nothing but constrict you. What you need to look for in a pair of jeans is: soft denim, a dark wash, and a non-constricting cut that will flatter your shape. My favorites right now are the Levi’s Curve ID because they are inexpensive, truly comfortable, and there is a style made to flatter every body type.
J. Crew cable knit sweater. Levi’s Curve ID Skinny Jeans. Anne Klein ‘Calantha’ Riding Boot in Dark Brown.

2. Sweatshirt and jeans. You are certainly allowed to wear sweatshirts out in public – just don’t wear them with sweatpants. Try to avoid men’s styles, styles that are two sizes too big, and really boring styles. Spice it up with a hooded, jersey-knit poncho, like the one pictured. Or, try wearing a traditional crewneck sweatshirt in an unexpected color. 

3. Shearling boots. As comfortable as Uggs but cute enough to wear out in public. Going out on the town? Dress it up with a pair shearling heels or wedges. For an everyday look, go for a more practical flat pair.
Arizona Black Suede Lace-Up Ankle Boot by Asos. ‘Blowfish Jack’ boots in Tan Snow.   

4. Dresses (or skirts) and tights. This outfit is so easy to throw on, so comfortable, and it still manages to be remarkably chic. Pair opaque tights with a jersey-knit long-sleeve mini, like this one from H&M, and you’ll look amazing in five minutes flat. Throw on a colorful scarf and some flats and you’re out the door. If temperatures are below freezing, try wearing two pairs of tights. You’ll be just as warm as if you were wearing jeans.

H&M Jersey Dress in Navy. Topshop Floral Snood and ballet flats. Grey tights from We Love Colors.

I'm a fashion-obsessed Business major at William and Mary.   I'm currently studying abroad at the London College of Fashion!  I am the President of HC W&M!  I love the ocean, working out, and extreme couponing.  This summer I interned with Marie Claire in NYC-- my dream internship!   Get to know me more on my fashion/style blog, "All Dolled Up"--->  www.dylanmaureen.blogspot.com