Skinny Jeans or Sweatpants? How to Avoid the W&M Fashion Malady

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Let’s be honest, we all need a little inspiration every now and then, particularly when it comes to fashion. And at William and Mary, it can be especially difficult to pick skinny jeans over a pair of sweatpants for that 8am class. We are all overworked and stressed out, to the point where thinking about getting dressed up seems… well, absolutely not worth it.

But, I am here to tell you… Don’t choose the sweatpants. Ever.

Have you ever heard of anyone taking over the world in a pair of sweatpants? I didn’t think so.

This is easy for me to say because I seriously don’t even own real sweatpants. But that’s not the point! The point is that there are real, solid reasons for getting dressed in the morning, and it isn’t just to impress that cutie who sits next to you in Orgo. It might seem counter-intuitive, but dressing to impress every day of your life might actually decrease your stress levels.

1. Dressing to impress helps improve your intellectual abilities. For the same reasons that career specialists tell their clients to get up and get dressed when they have a phone interview, you should dress to impress every day. This simply puts you in the right frame of mind to answer questions, take notes, and be productive and intelligent like a good TWAMP. Those sweatpants will only encourage you to take naps and watch episodes of The Vampire Diaries on your laptop.
  2. It improves your overall mindset. Every single girl deserves to feel amazing every day of her life. Dressing to impress not only ups your intellectual ante, it also improves your overall self-esteem. You are what you wear, so if you put some effort into your outfits every day, odds are that you will feel a thousand times more confident and more fabulous. Thus, more capable of taking on the world.
  3. Fashion is a form of self-expression. By actually putting thought into your outfits instead of reaching for Ugg boots and a W&M sweatshirt, you are turning your body into a piece of artwork. Be proud of this! It’s so cool! And don’t you dare get dressed for anyone other than yourself. I mean it – this is all about self-expression. Plus, it’s doubtful that the cute boy over there cares what brand of jeans you’re wearing or what color your dress is, he only sees that you exude confidence when you are wearing clothes that make you feel great. 

Want some more tips on how to avoid being overstressed and underdressed? Look forward to more articles soon!

I'm a fashion-obsessed Business major at William and Mary.   I'm currently studying abroad at the London College of Fashion!  I am the President of HC W&M!  I love the ocean, working out, and extreme couponing.  This summer I interned with Marie Claire in NYC-- my dream internship!   Get to know me more on my fashion/style blog, "All Dolled Up"--->  www.dylanmaureen.blogspot.com