Six Things to do at Busch Gardens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

This Friday, September 27, grab your friends and head down to Busch Gardens for William and Mary’s annual Busch Gardens Day. This special event is held twice a year, once in the fall and again in the spring. It offers students discounted tickets, as well as the chance to experience the thrills of one of Williamsburg’s biggest attractions. If you’ve never been to Busch Gardens and don’t know what all the fuss is about, here are several reasons for you to set aside your studying, and have some Halloween fun!

1. Don’t be afraid to get scared!

Starting in mid-September, Busch Gardens morphs from a unique European-themed amusement park by day, to a dimly lit place filled with demons and ghouls by night. This sudden shift, one that both students and residents look forward to, is called “Howl-O-Scream.” The park is divided up into Four Terror-Tories within its countries, where actors in costume can, and will jump out at you. Thankfully, they are not allowed to grab you. If you scare easily, you might want to go with some friends who won’t mind you screaming and latching on to them every time you see something suddenly move. If being surprised by werewolves and the like isn’t frightening enough, Busch Gardens also sets up various haunted houses throughout the park, where even more employees are ready to scare the “TWAMP” out of you.

2. Head across the pond!

Busch Gardens separates itself from your average amusement parks with its European theme. Unlike your typical Kings Dominion or Six Flags, Busch Gardens divides itself into six of Europe’s most vibrant nations: England, France, Germany, Italy, Scotland, and Ireland. As you stroll through the park you can take in the quaint cottages of a French countryside, the flair and charm of Italian villas, and the robust music of German Oktoberfest. It’s (almost) like studying abroad without having to suffer through airport security!

3. Push yourself to new heights!

You cannot go to Busch Gardens without going on at least one of their many rides. It’s an amusement park, after all! For the seasoned roller coaster pros, there’s Alpengeist, Apollo’s Chariot, Loch Ness Monster, and the semi-new Verbolten (debuted in 2012). However, the one coaster that all adventure-seeking TWAMPs must ride is the Griffon. Apart from sharing the same name as our beloved mascot, the Griffon features a steep, 90 degree drop. Pro tip: The line for the front row is worth the wait. The drop is much more intense when you get to look straight down at the rest of the park!

If fast speeds and heights aren’t your thing, there are plenty of other rides out there for you to enjoy! If the weather’s warm enough (which might happen considering Virginian weather is so unpredictable), head to Italy for two water rides: Escape to Pompeii and Roman Rapids. Just make sure your phone and other electronics are safely stored somewhere dry! If the weather is a bit chilly, go enjoy the Turkish Delight, a spinning teacup ride, or the Battering Ram. You can even take a relaxing trip on the Aeronaut Skyway, which gives you a bird’s eye view of the park without the terrifying speed.

4. Indulge in a smorgasbord!

Don’t like bad, overpriced theme park food? Well then, you’re somewhat in luck! Although a tad expensive, the food at Busch Gardens is not to be overlooked. Whether you’re in the mood for English fish and chips, Italian pastas, or some German sauerkraut, you can find it here! If you get nothing else, make sure to grab some ice cream from La Grande Glace, located in France. There’s no better way to calm your nerves after being terrified by an actor dressed as a goblin!

5. Get in touch with your wild side!

Busch Gardens is home to a wide variety of wildlife. Stop by the Highland Stables to take in the majestic Clydesdales and their Border Collie companions. Benjamin Franklin may have wanted the turkey to be the national bird of the United States, but there are Bald Eagles aplenty at Eagle Ridge. These magnificent birds are accompanied by several species of owls, parrots, and even some Turkey Vultures (not quite what Franklin had in mind). If you want to get in touch with your wild side, head over to Wolf Haven to watch the park’s Grey Wolf pack and their distant cousins, the Arctic Wolves. The animal kingdom doesn’t end there. Busch Gardens offers a full schedule of educational wildlife presentations involving every animal from Servals, to Pythons, to Armadillos, and even a Two-Toed Sloth.

6. Go on a European shopping spree!           

What if you’re not a thrill-seeking roller-coaster junkie? Will you spend all day waiting in never-ending lines just to begrudgingly hold your friends’ bags while they ride The Griffon for the umpteenth time? Never fear! You can get a jumpstart on your Christmas shopping in Busch Garden’s unique gift stores. Unlike your average theme park shops, each country offers an eclectic sampling of authentic cultural keepsakes. In England, you can do research on your family’s last name and get your ancestral crest printed on any number of items to display in your dorm or back home. Have you ever wanted an “authentic” medieval sword? You can pick one up in Scotland. Students of legal drinking age can purchase a German beer stein or lovely Celtic jewelry in Ireland. Handcrafted Venetian masks can be purchased in Italy along with all types of cute apparel in France. These gifts and souvenirs make perfect decorations and keepsakes.

So, whatever you plan on doing at Busch Gardens, make sure to get your tickets (only $23) at either the info desk at Sadler or the candy counter at Campus Center! Buses will be leaving campus all day from 10 to 10. Don’t miss out on this awesome opportunity to make lasting memories with your Tribe friends! 

photo credit: flicker/Sam Fam

Phoebe is a senior at W&M double majoring in economics and classical civilization. When not writing articles, she can be found streaming Netflix, watching her beloved Washington Wizards, and finding ways to procrastinate on things that actually need to get done.
Kayla Sharpe is a sophomore at the College of William & Mary majoring in Film & Media Studies with a minor in American Studies. She loves journalism, Broadway, and is a huge fan of video games.