Say Goodbye to the Blues: 3 Ways to Get Out of a Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

For many, the start of school is exciting. You get new everything, from books to bedsheets, you get to see all your friends (maybe even make some new ones), and you get to begin a whole new set of classes. For others, it is impossible to avoid the back-to-school blues. Luckily, there is an infinite amount of ideas to get yourself out of that slump and into a positive mood.

1. Change up your routine.

It is easy to fall into the same pattern of activities: wake up, go to class, do homework, go to bed (with meals in between). This repetition can make every activity seem mundane, and you may find yourself bored with everything. One way to change your mood is to change what you do. For example, if you usually work out in the morning, try a mid-evening workout to give yourself a burst of endorphins to help you study through the night. If you usually skip breakfast before your first class, try waking up just 20 minutes earlier so that you have a chance to get some food into your system to fuel you for the day. Small changes in your daily routine can take your days from ordinary to extraordinary.

2. Make someone smile.

When you aren’t feeling your best, you sometimes wish someone would just tell you how great you are. Unfortunately, people don’t read minds, and cannot tell that you need a pick-me-up. One of my favorite things to do when I’m feeling down is to go out of my way to tell others what I love about them (whether it be their outfit or their attitude). I have found that making someone else feel good always seems to make me feel good. And you never know, they might just feel like returning the favor! Loving on those around you can remind you to love on yourself, another way to boost your mood!

3. Study somewhere new

Heading back to school inevitably means heading back to the same old study habits–or does it? I have found that studying in a variety of places not only gets me to do my work, but it also puts me in a better mood. Whether you lay in the sun in the Sunken Garden while reading Shakespeare, or you try out the study lounge on the top floor of an academic building to finish your Physics, changing where you study can give you a new perspective. Spend some time exploring and finding a new place to study. Plus, with a new set of sights and sounds to experience, you might find out that you work better in a new environment.

This list may be short, but there are a million things you can do to change your mood for the better. Don’t get stuck in a slump; Carpe Diem!

(phot credit: flickr/MonotonousSarah)

Born and raised in Southern California. Loving the East Coast.