Read, Watch, Listen: Oscar Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Image from Wikimedia 

This was an exciting week for film fans, as the nominations for this year’s Academy Awards were announced on Tuesday. While you have to wait until March 4 to find out who will take home the top prizes, there are still plenty of Oscar-related activities to tide you over until the big ceremony. Check out this special ~Oscar Edition~ of Read, Watch, Listen.

Read:

Image from Giphy

• The Disaster Artist by Greg Setero and Tom Bissell—It’s the story about the making of what is considered to be the best worst film ever made. And while James Franco and the film itself, were shut out of major categories, The Disaster Artist still managed to score a nom in the Best Adapted Screenplay category. If you are interested in film making, or weird-yet-oddly-inspirational stories, move The Disaster Artist to the top of your TBR.

​Image from Giphy

• Molly’s Game by Molly BloomMolly’s Game is the real-life story of Molly Bloom, the woman who ran one of the largest high-stakes poker tournaments of all time. The real-life inspiration for the film wrote a book about her life, which was then adapted for the screen by the master himself, Aaron Sorkin. (Sorkin, once again an Oscar nominee, also directed the film). If you can’t get enough drama (or Jessica Chastain) check out Molly’s Game.

Watch:

​Image from Giphy

• Call Me By Your Name—If you, just like the rest of the world, have fallen in love with Timothée Chalamet, then this is the movie for you. If you loved him in Lady Bird but want to see him in a more leading role, Call Me By Your Name is calling to you. Be sure to bring the tissues to this heartbreaking romance, co-starring The Social Network’s Armie Hammer.

​Image from Giphy

• The Shape of Water­—If more unique Oscar fare is what you are looking for, Guillermo del Toro’s latest film might be right for you. The film tells the story of a mute janitor who falls in love with a sea monster during the Cold War. Crazy, right? This film is a contender in many major categories and was the most nominated film this year (it received 13 noms total!). If you want to be in the know on Oscar Sunday, make this the first film you see.

Listen:

​Image from Giphy

• “This Is Me” from The Greatest Showman—Benj Pasek and Justin Paul are back again with their third Oscar nom in two years! After winning the Golden Globe, this empowering anthem from the Hugh Jackman led movie musical makes Pasek and Paul serious contenders in the Best Original Song category. Be sure to watch this year’s ceremony to catch what is sure to be a stunning performance of the song by Keala Settle.

​Image from Giphy

• “Mystery of Love” from Call Me By Your Name—I had not listened to this song until Tuesday morning, and have not stopped listening to it since. Sufjan Stevens creates such a haunting, yet somehow still romantic vibe, that captures heartbreak perfectly. It will be interesting to see how the quiet intensity of this song fares against the bombast of “This is Me.”

Thumbnail Image from Wikimedia Commons

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.