This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Pilot Speaking

If you’ve been to the Meridian or any Homebrew in the last year, you’ve probably heard the name “Pilot Speaking.” Maybe you’ve even heard the band themselves. Pilot Speaking is a band on campus made up of five students who play a mix of covers and original music (and of whom I am arguably the biggest fan). I recently spoke to Elizabeth Barto, the keyboard player and vocalist, to find out a little more about them.  

Members of Pilot Speaking:

Elizabeth Barto ‘18: Keyboard, vocals

Devon DeYoung ‘17: Lead vocals, tambourine  

Peter Kress ‘18: Guitar  

Megan Kitts ‘18: Viola, vocals

Jeff Brauch ‘18: Drum set, cajon

Style of Music:

Indie Viola Pop

How they formed:

Before Peter became the guitarist (and resident giant) of the band, there was a slightly different lineup. The band was initially formed by Connor Barto and Devon DeYoung who performed in the the Schola Cantorum together, the student directed chamber group. They talked about playing music and decided to get together and jam.

Connor and Megan worked together at Bertucci’s that summer and went through with their jam session with Devon. They were soon joined by their now current drummer Jeff for their first gig in the basement of the William & Mary campus radio. Elizabeth then saw them perform at the Triangle and joined the band soon after that.

In the fall, Connor left the band and they held auditions for a new guitarist, where they found Peter, creating their current lineup!  

Origin of the band Name:

When Connor, Megan, Devon, and Jeff were naming the band, it came down to three names out of hundreds. They were split 50/50 over the possible names “Laser Lizard” or “Elephant’s Eve.” Unable to choose, they decided on the third name, “Pilot Speaking” and the rest is history. The best thing about their name (in my opinion) is their ability to start off shows with the sweet quip “this is your pilot speaking.”

Favorite Song to Perform:

Pilot Speaking performs a cover of Tightrope by Walk the Moon at every show and it helps them get hype and back on track during difficult rehearsals

Most Satisfying Performance:

To date, their most enjoyable performance was a gig at the Crust at the end of last spring semester. Not only was it their first paid show, the crowd had a great energy, dancing and singing along.

Favorite Bands/performers on campus:

The members of Pilot Speaking enjoy Talk to Plants and the Masaharu Effect, two bands with distinct personality that are a lot of fun to watch perform.

Upcoming Performances:

You can catch Pilot Speaking next Saturday (2/18) at the Meridian with Swete Dreams and Hoax Hunters. All the proceeds from the show will go towards the ACLU. Look out for more performances during the rest of the semester!

Future of Pilot Speaking:

Currently, Pilot Speaking is currently working on bringing back a cover of “Space Oddity” that they first played as a tribute after David Bowie’s death.

After their senior member, Devon, graduates this spring, the other members aren’t planning to give up music, but their sound will likely be different.

For Elizabeth, Pilot Speaking was a way of finding her place on William & Mary’s Campus. For me, it’s the way to hear some of the best music on William & Mary’s campus. Regardless of who you are, if you’re looking to hear some great music and see a great show, make sure to see Pilot Speaking perform.

Abby is a current senior at William & Mary majoring in English and minoring in French. She plans to attend law school after college. When she isn't in class, she can be found knitting, drinking coffee way too late at night and trying to play frisbee.