An Open Letter to Incoming Freshmen: Advice from a Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Welcome Class of 2021..

You’ll be coming to campus in about four and a half months, and honestly, when I was in your spot, that thought scared me. It was a surreal summer after my senior year of high school. But it’s okay—and completely valid—to feel that way! The next four years will be a whirlwind of ups and downs – expect everything! As someone who has already tackled this campus, here are some things you should know:

1. Buy a pair of rain boots. – I know this probably sounds super silly, but seriously I have gone four years wishing I had a pair. I know they can be expensive, but they’re honestly worth it. I don’t know how many times I had to stand in soaked socks and shoes or how many pairs of shoes I have ruined because I wasn’t prepared for the weather. I’m sure you’re wondering “How come you never bought a pair, since you had four years?” – Basically the answer is that I am a lazy person and by the time I realized I needed a pair it was too late and I would forget…until it rained again. If my four years can teach you anything it’s that you need them.

2. Do not underestimate the necessity of orientation. – If you’re anything like me, you’ll probably get to orientation and wonder “Why must I be put through this?” Honestly, I wish I had made more friends during those days. My first semester of college was spent mostly alone on my bed, either doing homework or watching Netflix. I was apathetic about life and questioned why I even needed to be in college. -10/10 do not recommend going through orientation with a ‘holier than thou’ attitude. I felt like I was above all the silly games and lessons and was super bitter about it. I’ve struggled since then with making friends since I am usually shy and introverted – meeting people is just hard for me. Orientation gives you the place and time to do that, so, definitely take advantage of it and make the most of your first 5 days on campus!

3. Join literally any club. – I’ve been a part of a few things throughout college, and for me that was enough. I’m not saying you should overbook yourself – that’s definitely a bad idea. Find things that you are passionate about and pursue them! William and Mary offers so many clubs and organizations that you’re bound to find many things that you’ll enjoy. Find something that is rewarding, too, whatever that may mean for you. And remember, you get out of a club what you put into it. So sure, you can be a passive member of like 10 clubs, or you can be an active member of a few that mean the most to you. College is the whole experience; it’s got to be more than just academics. Find somewhere fulfilling to spend your time that isn’t in the library, or in class. It will broaden your experience here at the College.

4. Consider Studying Abroad. – Obviously, I understand the financial obligations this could create for your family. I’ve had friends who applied for a program, got in, and then couldn’t meet the financial obligations, so they had to forgo it. Regardless, I recommending exhausting all your options when it comes to Studying Abroad. Honestly, I wish I had done so, myself. I feel like I missed out on a valuable experience. It’s one of my biggest regrets over the past four years. Start researching programs soon. Plan when it would be best for you to study abroad – fall, spring, or summer, and during which year. Talk with your parents about what they’ll be able to help contribute. Talk to the lovely people at the Reves Center about what you need to do and how to get financial help if possible. If you’ve looked into everything and find out you cannot make it work for you, then you’ll at least know you’ve done everything in your power to try.

5. Take advantage of the 72-hour rule. This is the rule that means you must take 72 credit hours outside of your major to graduate. (If double majoring, classes from your secondary major go towards this 72 hours). You might be asking “If this is mandatory, why are you mentioning it?” Well, here’s why. The 72-hour rule means that you get to explore everything and anything. No joke, you could find the best class if you just search through something that is not your major. Of course, you want to be as knowledgeable as possible about your major. That’s kind of what majoring means. This is a way for you to break out of the normal class content and find something new to enjoy. You may never know you like ballroom dancing unless you take the class, and even if you find out that you don’t like it, now you can say you’ve tried it. Plus, it might allow you to make connections across subjects that you might never had gotten to on your own. Yes, you’re one smart cookie to be here at William and Mary, but that doesn’t mean we make all the connections possible across subjects. Taking a class on something you enjoy a lot in addition to the classes you need to take might open the door for more opportunities in the future.

6. Talk to your Professors. I mean this. You might hear this a lot, but you should take this advice. It’s going to come in handy when you need help figuring out something for an exam, or if you need a letter of recommendation for an internship, job, or graduate school. It might even help you get into a research lab. Professors also have the opportunity to get to know you and will then able to tell when you might not be at your best. They can be points of consistency for your time at the college, if that’s helpful to you. Maybe you have weekly coffee dates where you talk about your life and plans for the future. Maybe they just provide a source of support for when you are going through a tough time because that happens. Also, this campus has some pretty awesome faculty that are wonderful to know. Whatever your reasoning, just take my advice: talk to your professors.

7. Schedule classes strategically. I’m serious about this one, too. Look at the times and places when finding potential classes. A) you won’t be able to sign up for classes at the same time (duh!) but B) you might end up having two classes 10 minutes apart but they’re all the way across campus. Spoiler alert: It takes longer than 10 minutes to get to the other side of campus. Also, along the same lines, keep in mind that just because you had to wake up early for school during high school does not mean you’ll have the same stamina and motivation to do so for college especially since your parents won’t be there to make sure you wake up and get going. If you know that you struggle to get out of bed, maybe try not to have your first class on the opposite side of campus from your dorm.

Image Source