NHL Playoffs Update: April 21, 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Just over a week into the playoffs and four series have ended! Here is your recap of the week in NHL playoff action! 

Closing Time!

Four series are already over! In the Western Conference, the Vegas Golden Knights swept (won four consecutive games) the Los Angeles Kings, and the San Jose Sharks swept the Anaheim Ducks. The Winnipeg Jets beat the Minnesota Wild in five games. Over in the Eastern Conference, the Tampa Bay Lightning beat the New Jersey Devils in five games. 

Heating Up! 

In the East, the Metropolitan division is wild! The Washington Capitals have taken the lead in their series against the Columbus Blue Jackets and have a chance to punch their ticket to the next round on Monday. The Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers face off in Game six tomorrow, and the Boston Bruins could make it to the conference semi-finals with a win over the Toronto Maple Leafs tonight. 

Looking Forward! 

In the second round of the playoffs (Conference semi-finals), the Vegas Golden Knights will face the San Jose Sharks, and the Winnipeg Jets will face the winner of the Nashville/Colorado series. The matchups in the East are still TBD, but the Tampa Bay Lightning will play either Toronto or Boston. 

Social Media Moments of the Week: 

#NoSleepTillStanley

A post shared by NHL on NBC Sports (@nhlonnbcsports) on

The force is strong with the @nhljets tonight. #StanleyCup

Stanley’s cup.

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.