NHL Playoffs Update: April 14, 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year—the NHL playoffs! Last year, I broke down how the NHL playoffs are structured (you check out that throwback article here), and this year, while still highlighting all of the in-game action, I thought it would be nice to highlight some off-ice happenings as well. So, without further ado, here is your recap for the first week of the playoffs. Here’s to hoping your bracket hasn’t fallen apart yet!

Marquee Match-Up: Eastern Conference—Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Philadelphia Flyers 

I may be biased since this series features my dearly beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, but is there anything better than a playoff series between arch rivals? The answer is no! The Penguins have won the Stanley Cup the past two seasons, and started this series hot, beating the Flyers 7-0 in Game 1. The Flyers clapped back in Game 2 winning 5-1. Game 3 is tomorrow at 3pm on NBC; tune in to watch some of the best hockey you will ever see!

Marquee Match-Up: Western Conference—Vegas Golden Knights vs. Los Angeles Kings 

This is the Vegas Golden Knights first season in the NHL. Not only did they win their division, becoming the first true expansion team to win their division in their first season, but they are now leading the LA Kings 2-0 in their first playoff series. While I won’t readily admit it, I have a soft spot for the Golden Knights, given their goalie is former Penguins, Marc-Andre Fleury. Here’s to a long (and historic) playoff run for the Golden Knights! 

On social media…

As if playoff hockey weren’t enough of a gift, social media has been providing us with some great hockey content. Over on the NHL’s Instagram, they are providing us with videos of “Puck Picking Puppies,” making predictions before playoff games, and Snoop Dogg giving us a lesson in hockey history. 

The NHL on NBC Instagram page is giving us memes featuring the catfish Nashville fan’s throw on the ice, and video of Boston Bruin Brad Marchand licking Toronto Maple Leaf Leo Komarov during Game 1 the Toronto/Boston series. Licking is allowed in the playoffs, right?

LinkedIn vs. Instagram

A post shared by NHL on NBC Sports (@nhlonnbcsports) on

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Maple Leaf? #StanleyCup

To keep up with playoff action, tune in to the stations of NBC, and follow along on social media!

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.