My Vegetarian Journey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Last year, I decided to be a vegetarian for one month, as a dare with my friends.  We would all go to college and try a different diet for one month.  I chose vegetarianism because I have always cared about the environment, but felt like I could never commit to not eating meat.  After all, I really liked it.  After one month of not eating meat, I realized it was much easier than I thought it was going to be, and I decided to try it for two more months.  I remember feeling so worried and confused, that maybe I would never eat meat again, and would that be a bad thing.  I felt as if I called myself a vegetarian then, I would have been committing to something I didn’t want to commit to just yet.  After the first three months where I had set a deadline on myself, I decided that I liked what I was doing.  I enjoyed making a conscious choice every day to do something that I knew was better for the environment.  It had also become a habit by then, and I no longer felt like I was missing out on anything.  I would have never imagined calling myself a vegetarian, but it is now a very fulfilling part of my life.  To anyone who is considering vegetarianism: I would say go for it! Even if you still eat some meat, it’s a very fulfilling choice to make to eat less meat, and very much worth it.