This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

In high school, I didn’t understand the hype about watching fake superheroes fight imaginary battles against villains from comics. However, I recently got into the Marvel Cinematic Universe over the spring months of quarantine thanks to the encouragement of my boyfriend. I watched many of the early Marvel movies, including “Age of Ultron,” “Iron Man 1,” and “The Winter Soldier” to name a few (but I promise I watched them in the right order!). When we heard that a new show was being released about my favorite character, Wanda Maximoff (The Scarlet Witch), we were pretty excited to try it out. 

The trailers didn’t give away much, but I was anxiously waiting for the drop of the first two episodes so I could better understand what they were all about. The morning of the release, I woke up early to binge them before my classes. 

(From this point forward, there will be spoilers up to episode five, so read at your own discretion!)

I was amazed at the tiny details the directors and producers put in to make the show not only have the feel of a Marvel movie, but also the feel of the decade of sitcom they were replicating. For those who haven’t seen the show yet, each episode so far has depicted a different era of sitcoms, starting with the 1950’s. Each episode is a parody of a sitcom from that era, starting with “We Love Lucy,” and ending with (as of episode 5) “Full House.”

Besides the incredible work that the team has put in, Wandavision has given many clues as to what the future of Marvel movies might look like. There are many clues that Mephisto will be the next big villain, such as his helmet hidden on a shelf in the 70’s episode, but he may not be behind Wanda’s control of Westview. Many fans also suspect that the character Agnes, Wanda’s neighbor who seems to know that Wanda is in control, is Agatha Harkness, a character from the comics who is Wanda’s mentor. 

Despite all the hidden details and clues within the show, I have found that this has been the most exciting show I’ve kept up with in a long time. It truly has everything, action, horror, mystery, romance, and superheroes. Even if you aren’t familiar with the Marvel Universe, I encourage you to do a little background reading (or watching) and then watch the show! It currently is the highest rated Marvel movie/show of all time on Rotten Tomatoes, and fans are holding on to the edge of their seats waiting for the next big plot twist. 

The next episode of WandaVision premieres today on Disney+, so grab a friend and some popcorn, and get watching!

Major: History/Government Other Involvements: Phi Mu social sorority, Academic Calendar Advisory Committee, Student Leadership Foundation Hobbies: creating dream fashion Pinterest boards, painting canvases, cooking and baking delicious dishes