The Most Dangerous Game: Drinking Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

For some of us, our days spent in Williamsburg follow a pretty consistent schedule. We go to class. We meet up with friends to eat. We go to different group or club meetings. We stay late in Swem. We got to sleep for a few hours. We wake up (too early). We repeat.

Thursday comes. We go to class. We study. We eat some carbs. We shower and change clothes. We pregame. We go out. We stumble home. We go to bed and wake up with a headache. We repeat for the next 1 or 2 nights.

It seems so normal- hey, it’s college. But we often forget that Williamsburg isn’t just the College of William & Mary. It’s a (relatively) normal town with laws and police. And the law that we tend to overlook each weekend is that fact that consuming alcohol is illegal until age 21.

The Williamsburg police are not stupid. They know college students drink, and they know that a lot of underage drinking occurs both on and off our campus. An arrest or an underage alcohol possession charge could ruin your semester, and possibly danger your future goals. Already dealing with the extensive William & Mary workload, you don’t want to add the stress of court dates, fines, and court-ordered community service to this already stressful lifestyle. Trust me, it isn’t fun.

I’m sure you’ve heard stories like, “So-and-so was arrested last night,” or “She got stopped and had to take a breathalyzer…” It can be really scary to hear, especially since this could happen to anyone.
In order to find out more about this kind of situation, I questioned a member of the Williamsburg Police Department. I thought that hearing the side of the law could help my fellow students, and keep them, as well as their futures, safe.

From the answers I received from the police department, and from personal experience, I believe the undergraduate population of W&M should know 5 key things:

1. Take Steerclear! Officers look for “staggering, swaying, unsteadiness on their feet, slurred speech, bloodshot eyes, etc” when they see people walking at night. If you, or someone you are with, is showing any of these characteristics, I would suggest not walking home. Steerclear can sometimes be a longer wait than you want, but would you rather wait an extra 30 minutes, or have to deal with an alcohol charge?
  2. Know your rights. If you are stopped by an officer, and you have been drinking, you do not have to do the breathalyzer. However, if you refuse, you “could be issued a summons for Underage Possession of Alcohol.” You would then attend a scheduled court date.
  3. You can find anything on the internet. It doesn’t matter if you were found not-guilty, or your case was dismissed, future employers will be able to see, if they look hard enough, that you were once charged with an alcohol related matter.
  4. If you are sent to court, it can be pretty costly.  Alcohol: $20. Chaser: $3. Themed outfit from Goodwill: $5. Underage Alcohol Possession Citation: $500-$2000. I don’t think you or your parents would be too happy about writing a check to a lawyer or the court system for any amount of money. Personally, I would rather travel or go shopping.
  5. Go out, have a blast, but, BE CAUTIOUS. If you are under 21, and choose to consume alcohol, you are risking not only your health, but your future as well. Do not drive if you have been drinking. Avoid drinking in public places. Know your limits. Your friends aren’t going to look down at you if you don’t stop drinking for the night. I’m sure they would prefer you not to take that last shot over taking care of you later!

You’ve probably heard this advice a thousand times, but I can’t stress how important it is. Most of us came to William & Mary with the intention of developing a strong platform for a successful career. One mistake could potentially mess with our future goals and aspirations. So, if you plan on drinking, make sure you are careful, and understand the potential consequences!

Lydia is a senior at the College of William & Mary. She is an American Studies major with a Psychology minor.  Lydia is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus: William & Mary, maintains an active role in her sorority, and works at a frozen yogurt shop. This summer Lydia was an editorial intern at The Daily Meal in New York City.