Michelle Obama and the Diplomacy of Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

As Americans, we seem to be living in constant disagreement.  Politically, we have become so focused on our individual ways of thinking that we are unable to realize that our own stubbornness is keeping us from our own greatness. However, as we tunnel through this dark time of dispute, there is one beacon of beauty and truth that we all seem to agree on: Michelle Obama knows how to get dressed in the morning.

Her style is very much a modern take on classic sophistication. It’s as if we have combined the preppy girl and the coolest girl we know, and there we have our First Lady.  For this reason, her style resonates across generations. She is known for supporting American designers such as Thakoon, Michael Kors, and Naeem Khan. Then of course there is Jason Wu, whose gowns she wore for both Inaugural Balls.  The inauguration also brought attention to designer Thom Browne, whose coat she sported during the ceremony. What some might be surprised to know, or possibly not surprised at all, is that the belt she wore around the coat was one from one of her, and all of our favorite stores, J. Crew.  Another lovely lady wearing J. Crew that day was the President and First Lady’s oldest daughter, Malia, while Sasha beamed in a purple Kate Spade coat. There is no doubt these two were also blessed with the style gene.

Now we can’t discuss our First Lady’s style without mentioning the recent unveiling of her bangs. To some this may seem like a simple haircut, but most of us know that the decision to get bangs is not always easy. It can, in some cases, be one of the hardest decisions a girl can face. Bangs or no bangs? That is the question. We ponder how they will shape our face, how long and how thick we want them, or if tragedy struck how long it would take to grow them back out. However, none of us can imagine making this decision on a public stage, where we know the outcome will be discussed at great lengths.  But this is why we love our First Lady, because she looks good and she knows what works.

Michelle Obama is fearless and tasteful with what she chooses to wear and how she presents herself. She wears what makes her feel good, and she looks good doing it. There is no denying it, we can all agree she rocks whatever she puts on.  Consequently, her style has become like a glue that binds us together as Americans. 

Harper is a junior at the College of William and Mary, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Marketing. A DC-Area native, she serves as Co-President at Her Campus William and Mary. She spends her summers interning in Marketing. This past summer was spent in New York City working at OppenheimerFunds as a Digital Strategy Intern, and the year before at Gannett working as a Marketing and Promotions Intern in the Social Commerce Division. She hopes to slowly accomplish a few things on her list of ridiculous dreams including hugging a walrus and voicing a named Disney character in a movie.Blog || LinkedIn || Twitter