How To Eat Healthy At Marketplace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Image from Pexels 

First of all, I know eating at Marketplace can sometimes feel like giving up, health wise.  Options are few and far between, and if you have any dietary restrictions, it feels like there are no options.  As a vegetarian, I already feel pretty limited, and it can be easy to gravitate to the least healthy options (*cough cough* barbecue chips and cinnamon toast crunch cereal). 

Nevertheless, it is possible, with a bit of forethought, to choose healthy foods when enjoying our most delicious dining hall.

1. TAKE YOUR TIME

If you rush through Marketplace, you will end up with unhealthy options. The healthiest options are the ones that you have to wait for or put together yourself.  Give yourself a few minutes to get the best food for you.

2. VARY YOUR DIET

I go to Marketplace every single day for breakfast, and it can be easy to fall into an unhealthy eating routine.  If you commit to not eating the same thing every day, it can force you to look into healthier diets.

3. DOUBLE UP ON FRUIT

In your swipe, fruit can count as a dessert.  This wonderful flexibility can let you get two types of fruit, or perhaps fruit and a side salad.

4. DRINK WATER

If you really want to be healthy, commit to only drinking water, especially at Marketplace.  It has the worst drink options anyway, so you might as well embrace some hydration

5. DON’T DOUBLE SWIPE
I know it’s tempting to double swipe and end up with a glorious amount of barbecue chips, but one swipe at Marketplace can get you a healthy, well-portioned meal.   Double swiping is the best way to guarantee you’re eating way too much food.

Thumbnail Image by Anna Boustany 

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.