Great Early 2000s Girl Power Films

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

The early 2000s gave us many great gifts: new Harry Potter books, Lizzie McGuire, and Livestrong wristbands. While some of these things have had staying power, others have faded. But one thing remains true: the early 2000s gave us some of the best girl power films of all time. These films made us laugh, cry, and offered us inspiration. Here are some of the best ones to check out while you put off writing that term paper!

The Princess Diaries (2001)

Princess Mia is probably one of the most relatable film characters ever. While she starts out shy and uncomfortable in her own skin, she slowly gains confidence, eventually becoming a strong woman capable of ruling a small principality. This film also features some of cinema’s most romantic moments (Umm…Mia giving Michael the pizza with the M&Ms? *insert heart eye emoji here*) and one of the best soundtracks of all time (“Miracles Happen is a straight up jam).

Legally Blonde (2001)

Full disclosure: I just saw this film for the first time about six months ago, and I don’t know why I waited so long. Elle Woods does not let anyone stand in the way of her achieving her dreams, and most importantly, she doesn’t change who she is along the way. When midterms and life in general have got you down, just channel your inner Elle Woods and get down to business (after watching this movie again, of course). 

The Devil Wears Prada (2006)

Meryl Streep is arguably one of the greatest actresses of all time, and The Devil Wears Prada is one reason why! She is fabulous (and intimidating) as magazine editor Miranda Priestly, but also inspiring (she has achieved so much). But this movie shines because of more than just Streep’s performance. The fashion is incredible (if a little outdated for today’s times) and Emily Blunt and Anne Hathaway are hilarious as dueling assistants. This film, in addition to being a classic, is the perfect example of how far hard work can take a woman.

27 Dresses (2008)

This one may not seem like a traditional “girl power” film, as the plot revolves around a woman whose main problem is serving as a bridesmaid 27 times, when she’s never been married. However, (without too many spoilers) the ending shows just how important it is to stand by your friends, because when it comes down to it, they will be there for you! 

Main image source 

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.