Go Green at College–Easily!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Monday is Earth Day, a day when our attention is brought to the necessity of caring for the planet. But why should you restrict environmentalism to only one day a year? Make a resolution to make environmental consciousness a habit! Here are just a few helpful things you can do at school to kick start your effort for the remainder of the semester.

1. Get a reusable take out box if you’re on the meal plan
We’re all on the go during the end of the semester as we try to balance projects on exams on papers. Sometimes there’s just not enough time to enjoy a dinner away from your books. Unfortunately, the non-biodegradable Styrofoam takeout boxes aren’t the best things to be collecting. Ask whoever swipes you in for a reusable box instead. They’re way cuter, free, and will reduce your trash as well as your use of such a non eco-friendly material.

2. Reduce your laundry
I’ve always had a bad habit of throwing my clothes directly into the hamper even if they can be re-worn simply because I don’t like seeing them laying around. If you do the same, try to break the pattern! Re-wearing a pair of jeans, a hoodie, your pajamas, your shorts, or your yoga pants really won’t harm you. You’ll have to do laundry less often and will save money, time, and gallons and gallons of water!

3. Simply recycle
Many of the dorms are equipped with recycling bins from the school, making it easy to remember to do this. Even if your dorm doesn’t have one, designate a trash can or bag for recyclables only. If you’re not sure what can be recycled at William and Mary, here’s a list: http://www.wm.edu/sites/sustainability/initiatives/recycling/index.php

Of course, there are countless other things you can do: carry a reusable mug, turn off your lights, take shorter showers, buy eco-friendly products, reduce paper by using your computer – the list goes on. Make a plan to do what YOU feel is important and carry it over from the school year to the summer. Happy Earth Day!

Harper is a junior at the College of William and Mary, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Marketing. A DC-Area native, she serves as Co-President at Her Campus William and Mary. She spends her summers interning in Marketing. This past summer was spent in New York City working at OppenheimerFunds as a Digital Strategy Intern, and the year before at Gannett working as a Marketing and Promotions Intern in the Social Commerce Division. She hopes to slowly accomplish a few things on her list of ridiculous dreams including hugging a walrus and voicing a named Disney character in a movie.Blog || LinkedIn || Twitter