Gifts for Guys – Tips to Struggle Less

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Since the holiday season is now in full swing, people are gearing up to find thoughtful and meaningful presents for those who they are close to. Most of us ladies can agree that the men in our lives are noticeably harder to shop for than the women. There’s no need to worry too much about what to get them, though! Guys tend to be extremely straightforward, so as long as you know one or two essential things about who they are as a person, you will be able to find a present with ease. Here are a few starter ideas:

For your dad: A book is always a great idea, especially if there’s a certain genre that you know he loves, a topic that he’s really interested in, or a book that reminds you of a memory that you’ve had together. He’ll love having a chance to unwind with a new, interesting read after a long day of work.

For your grandpa: Get him something that helps him pursue his hobbies in retirement, whether he likes to fish, golf, make art, or do something else entirely. He’ll be thankful to be able to work more deeply with whatever he’s interested in, and maybe he’ll even invite you along a few times – bonding time!

For your brother: Let’s be honest: it’s really hard to go wrong with video games, especially if he’s a teenager or young adult. Several famous games such as Call of Duty, Halo, and Assassin’s Creed have just released new titles. If video games are a little above your budget, your brother will also love a new DVD!

For your boyfriend: You’ll want this one to be especially sweet and to express how close you are. This winter, try thinking of gifts that can relate to one of your inside jokes – you know you have a lot of them! Pair it with a sweet note and a box of chocolates and it’ll be the perfect mixture of funny and romantic.

For your best guy friend: This one is especially tricky because, although all gifts should be based on a person’s personality, the gift for a best friend fully relies on it because there aren’t many specified types of items that people would universally agree are “best friend gifts.” Whatever he loves, just go for it: a mix CD, a gift card to a sports store, a nerdy t-shirt . . . just have fun with it! After all, the point of giving presents is to enjoy the process of figuring out what kind of gift will be meaningful to a person who means something important to you.

Good luck in shopping, budget well, and have a happy holiday season!

Harper is a junior at the College of William and Mary, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Marketing. A DC-Area native, she serves as Co-President at Her Campus William and Mary. She spends her summers interning in Marketing. This past summer was spent in New York City working at OppenheimerFunds as a Digital Strategy Intern, and the year before at Gannett working as a Marketing and Promotions Intern in the Social Commerce Division. She hopes to slowly accomplish a few things on her list of ridiculous dreams including hugging a walrus and voicing a named Disney character in a movie.Blog || LinkedIn || Twitter