Five Must-Have Wardrobe Pieces for the Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Fall is officially here!! As much as I and I know a lot of others are tempted to continue rocking their summer best, it’s not very practical (although it is still really cute). I must admit I hate the point in the year where I have to do my wardrobe changeover! Sometimes you have to clean out some old items in your closet, and oftentimes you feel as though you need some new to replace the old. So to help you for your Fall Fashion Fix, I’ve created a list of five classy fall fashions that will scream, “I’m cute, I’m comfy, and I’m not cold!!”

SCARVES: Scarves are my personal favorite because there are so many colors and sizes that work!! You can match a scarf to just about anything –jeans, skirts, EVERYTHING. I love wearing them because they protect and propel your fashion experience to the next level. I would highly suggest getting a variety of colors because you can wear them throughout the fall and winter forever and ever and ever!

HATS and CAPS
: I love to wear hats during the fall and winter! They protect your head, which is very important to keep away cold. The beret hat is always really cute and comfy. Also knit and wool caps are great for the winter. The fedora is a cool and casual look that can go with a nice coat and slacks or jeans. You have so many possibilities and so much time to coordinate.

COATS and JACKETS: For fall, the leather jacket is a fantastic fashion choice. My favorite colors are the brown and black jackets because again they match with just about everything. The pea coat is also a fabulous option because there is a variety of patterns and colors for fall, which can easily accompany formal business attire and/or casual attire. The jean jacket goes well with khakis and black pants and is a good item to have when walking to class. A good site to visit for some edgy outfits is kellygolightly.

BOOTS: Of course, boots have to be on the must-haves list. Lately, I’ve seen a lot of military boots around. I give the two thumbs up on these because they seem to be durable. I’ve seen many girls on campus wear them with jeans and dresses. Dark brown military boots can be a good contrast to a white dress or compliment to the bold jacket and jeans look. Believe me on a fashion report card you would get an A+ if you have these at your disposal. Also the regular leather boots are a WINTER WONDER!

BLAZERS
: I LOVE blazers. They are super adorable because they add some edge to an outfit without being too much! They work for business attire and are good to throw on if you are on the go and just need an easy outfit. The colors that I would recommend getting are black, blue, and red. I have seen these on students and celebs and they are always a hit with the fashion police.

Although the sweater dress didn’t make it on my top five list, I would highly recommend that you consider adding it to your fall clothes selection. They can be worn to class and to a casual social gathering, which makes them a great addition to the autumn and winter looks. Scarves and boots go well with them as well. Gloves also didn’t make the list, but are important too. My hands are normally the first things to get cold and gloves keep them from being exposed. My favorite colors for gloves are generally red, gray, white, and black. The red is bold and contrasts the darker wardrobe that I have and the black doesn’t get dirty easily and generally complements the rest of my outfit well.

Lovely readers, I hope this article has given you some ideas for your wardrobe. There are so many things that you can incorporate to show your own creative style. Make fashion choices that reflect who you are as a person and keep your individual style in mind when purchasing new fall clothes and accessories. Your wardrobe should convey creativity, keep you comfy and cozy, and most of all help to highlight the confident and beautiful you!!

Harper is a junior at the College of William and Mary, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Marketing. A DC-Area native, she serves as Co-President at Her Campus William and Mary. She spends her summers interning in Marketing. This past summer was spent in New York City working at OppenheimerFunds as a Digital Strategy Intern, and the year before at Gannett working as a Marketing and Promotions Intern in the Social Commerce Division. She hopes to slowly accomplish a few things on her list of ridiculous dreams including hugging a walrus and voicing a named Disney character in a movie.Blog || LinkedIn || Twitter