This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Williamsburg may not be as exciting as DC or Richmond, but with a little searching, you can find some of the most fabulous date opportunities. Whether you have an on-campus sweetheart or a long distance relationship, these date ideas are sure to make any night in Williamsburg a special one.

1. Canoeing in Lake Matoaka

This one is my personal favorite. Students can rent boats for free with just a flip of their ID card, and it’s never super busy down there. If you want a relaxing date, grab a canoe and bring out your phone (put it in a waterproof case!) to play your favorite music while enjoying a romantic lunch on the water. Maybe you’re more of a competitive couple? The boathouse offers kayaks too – time for a race!

2. The Muscarelle Museum of Art

Although our on-campus museum is pretty small, it is often home to some fascinating exhibits. My boyfriend and I both love history, so I took him to see the Michelangelo exhibit last Valentine’s Day, and we ended up learning a lot together. Keep an eye out for the Glenn Close costume exhibit which arrives next month!

3. Ghost Tours of Williamsburg

If you and your significant other like horror movies, check out the nightly ghost tours of Colonial Williamsburg. I recommend going once it gets colder out so the nights will be darker and the mood will be creepier. Whether or not the stories are real, you’re sure to leave with chills and a ton of things to discuss with each other. Learn more here!

4. Live Music

There are several options for live music around campus. If you’re looking for something cozy, check out Aromas, a popular coffee shop in CW which has open mic nights every Thursday. Alma Mater Productions, aka AMP, hosts Homebrew several times each semester. Homebrew is a student music show that takes place in Lodge 1 at the Sadler Center. Fridays at Five, another AMP event at Sadler, that brings bands to the terrace during dinner.

5. Busch Gardens

Are you thrill seekers? If the weather is nice and you’re willing to shell out a bit of money for your date, head over to Busch Gardens, one of the most popular amusement parks in Virginia which also happens to be extremely close to William & Mary. Never been there? Make sure to check out The Griffon, a massive rollercoaster that brings you to a screeching halt right before you drop at an 85 degree angle. Riding it is basically a milestone for anyone who’s been there.

6. Movie Tavern

The Movie Tavern is a theater on High Street that is easily accessible by the Williamsburg Trolley. They offer entrees as well as popcorn and candy to provide for the ultimate modern American dinner-and-a-movie experience. If you present your student ID at the box office, movies are only $6.

7. Exploring Colonial Williamsburg

Although “Colonial Williamsburg” is the name that students give to the entire downtown Williamsburg area, I’m referring to the actual colonial part of Williamsburg. Take a nice afternoon to stroll through the streets, checking out artifacts from the 17th and 18th centuries and different facets of colonial life. There are a few small pastures around the area; make sure to visit the sheep!

8. Theatrical Performances

William & Mary puts on performances to appeal to any taste. If you and your date are always looking to laugh, check out Improv Theatre, whose performances leave your abs sore from laughter. If you’re looking for more of a literary experience, Shakespeare in the Dark portrays one of the Bard’s plays each semester. PBK Hall is home to several plays throughout the year, ranging from Renaissance pieces to Eastern theatre.

So if you’re new to town, don’t stress about finding exciting things to do with your significant other in such a small area. Williamsburg is one of the most romantic cities in Virginia because of its rich history, college culture, and beautiful scenery.