Convocation at William and Mary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Convocation at William & Mary was my favorite part of freshman orientation.  School went from feeling like a disjointed summer camp, to a place where I actually lived, with people who cared about me.  Coming back as a sophomore, it was a different experience for these reasons:

1. It was so hot!

Convocation this year was incredibly hot, even though we’d find a spot in the shade. As thrilled as we all were to be there, the heat was ridiculous.

2. I was with people who I’ve made real connections with!

Over the past year, I’ve made amazing friendships with people who I love very much. Being with them, surrounded by people I care about, was fulfilling the promise I had been told my freshman year, that I belonged here.

3. I felt like I belonged here!

As mentioned in the above reason, during freshman convocation I was promised by all the upperclassmen that I belonged at William and Mary.  Coming back as a sophomore, I know one hundred percent that William and Mary is the right place for me, and I love it so much.

Convocation is one of the lovely traditions at William and Mary, and I am so excited for all of the new freshman here to find their places in our community.