Community Engagement at WM

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

At the Celebration of Active Citizenship held by Office of Community Engagement (OCE) last Wednesday, I was amazed to learn of new opportunities for service and to meet peers who were also dedicated to positive community change. If you too are devoted to community service, here are some organizations, festivals, and information that will interest you!

Earth Week

The themed week is an annual event revolving around Earth Day. It was my pleasure this year to help run the smoothie bike. I saw lots of Tribe members enjoy the smoothies made from their own biking. A DIY smoothie was worth the one-minute workout under the nice sunshine!

Admitted Student Programs

Each year, many volunteers are needed after WM Good Things emails and admission packets are sent out. On Day for Admitted Students (DFAS), many current WM students wear “Ask Me” T-shirts proudly, help visitor parking and shuttle service, and cheer all day. My role was admissions office chat, and I excitedly greeted the admitted students. Other volunteering opportunities related to admissions include myWM Mondays and Sneak Peek.

Photo courtesy of Xuanxuan Chen

Williamsburg Farmer’s Market

Are you looking forward to helping the Williamsburg community on weekend mornings? The Farmer’s Market needs you! The duties vary: setup, information booth, and breakdown. One may get involved in the early hours. A noon shift is also available.

Three Sources to Get Informed on Service Opportunities

Pay attention to the flyer boards in Sadler (on floor 1 and floor 2), in residence halls, and teaching buildings. Go over the Student Happenings emails (my favorite!). Sign up for OCE volunteer listserv for updates.

Photo courtesy of Xuanxuan Chen

The greatest gift I am able to offer is my time and heart. Make a difference with priceless kindness!

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.