This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Image Source

This morning, at 6:00 am, the Tribe cheerleading team cleaned the Kaplan Arena. We were cleaning for a fundraiser after the Chainsmokers concert.  I was honestly expecting worse but we found a lot of hair, food, gum, and Band-Aids. The actual items we found weren’t that repulsive but just thinking that people literally threw their gum directly onto the floor was even more disgusting.   There were trashcans everywhere in the building to encourage people to throw away their garbage but it obviously did not work. 

This experience showed me that we all really need to start cleaning up after ourselves.  The employees here are absolutely wonderful people and their job is not to clean up after us.  They will mop and do other activities that we are not capable of doing but they should not have to be our mothers. 

As active citizens in society, we have certain responsibilities, like holding doors, saying thank you, and throwing garbage away.  We need to start taking responsibilities for our belongings and ourselves. I hope next time you think twice before letting someone else clean up after you.