Campus Cutie: Sarah Smith

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Name: Sarah Smith,  ’19

Major/Minor: International Relations and Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies

Hometown: Ashburn, VA

Activities on campus: News Editor of The Flat Hat and member of Kappa Delta Sorority

Coffee or Tea? Coffee

Kittens or Puppies? Puppies (but kittens are really great)

Green or Gold: Gold

What is your favorite news publication besides The Flat Hat: The New York Times

How many articles have you written for The Flat Hat? 126 (at time of print)

Which Professor has inspired you the most?

Professor Putzi is the head of the Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies Department. I took a class taught by her simply called “Gender” and think that she’s the greatest professor for always teaching us to think critically and through an intersectional lens when it comes to issues of gender and sexuality.

What is your favorite thing about the College?

Everyone at William and Mary has such great passion. I think that it’s amazing to be surrounded by such dedicated people who are working hard for things that matter so much to them.

What’s one thing that you would change about the College: I’d get rid of the mold

If you could invite a famous person to teach a class at the College, who would it be and what would they teach?

I would invite author and activist Janet Mock because I really enjoyed reading her book, Redefining Realness. It would be great for her to teach a class cross-listed between Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies and Africana Studies that explores the intersection between gender and race.

If you could give a gift to the entire College community, what would it be?

I’d give everybody a free cup of coffee during finals week because when people have given me coffee in the past, it’s made me feel really great.

What’s something that you wish people knew about The Flat Hat?

The Flat Hat really does work to provide accurate information about campus and the Williamsburg community. We strive to be a resource to readers and include the perspectives of the individuals in our community.

What’s your favorite spot on campus?

I love Swemromas because of the amazing people who work and study there. The atmosphere is great for getting work done.

What’s one thing you wish you knew as a freshman?

One thing I wish I knew as a freshman is that even though everyone on campus is so involved, you don’t have to do everything. Find what you love and pursue it. We’re all talented and wonderful in our own way.

What do you hope to accomplish by graduation?

By the time I graduate I hope to have created a voice that helps define The Flat Hat.

What’s your favorite thing about being a member of Kappa Delta?

I love the Strong and talented women who are also in my sorority. For me, the best part of Greek life is that I am constantly inspired and challenged by the wonderful people in my sorority (shout-out to my big, Anatolia)

Kayla Sharpe is a sophomore at the College of William & Mary majoring in Film & Media Studies with a minor in American Studies. She loves journalism, Broadway, and is a huge fan of video games.