Campus Celebrity: Yohance Whitacker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Hometown: Chesapeake, VA

Major/Minor: Government and History Double Major

Clubs and Organizations: Historian and Director of Educational Activities for Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Senator for the Class of 2016, and Senate Representative of the Undergraduate Council in Student Assembly

Hobbies: Reading, watching House of Cards, talking to people

Favorite traditions at William & Mary: Yule Log and Convocation are both fun, but my absolute favorite tradition is Charter Day. Between the Charter Day speaker and concert, there is always a lot to do, and I make it a point to go every year.

Also, not one of my favorites, but I believe that being “professionally exhausted” is a William & Mary tradition.

What prompted you to run for Student Assembly?

It’s important that all citizens give back to the community. At William & Mary, we are “citizens” of the college so it is our responsibility to work on behalf of other students. I ran for Student Assembly to be a voice for those who did not have one because I strongly believe that everyone should do something to benefit someone other than themselves. Student Assembly works for all students by providing the Blue Books for testing, determining funding for clubs, and organizing the shuttles to get people home for breaks. Being a member Student Assembly is one way I can leave my mark on campus. For the future, I would like to see the class officers focus more on advocacy. We need to remember why we were originally elected, to speak on behalf of the student body on policies.

What is it like being in a Historically Black Greek Fraternity at William & Mary?

I think it’s great that W&M Greek life is so diverse that we have a place where minorities can feel comfortable. I chose to join the Alphas because they were the very first, and I appreciated that it was founded as a safe haven for black professionals. I also like how being an Alpha is a life long commitment that will extend beyond my four years at W&M.

What advice would you give a student who is considering joining Greek life?

I would advise prospects to do their research. Their personal goals should line up with the organization’s goals in order for their efforts to be effective. Students considering Greek life should ask themselves, “How can I impact campus in this organization?” Greek life should take a more active role in the community as opposed to just social stuff.

What is on your W&M bucket list?

Definitely making the Dean’s list. Instead of joining or participating in a whole bunch of different organizations or events, I really want to focus on being more involved with the organizations I am already in.

Alexandra is a Junior at The College of William and Mary and has been a huge supporter of the Her Campus team since her Freshman year. She has been a Chapter Adviser and budget coordinator, however her favorite job has been contributing articles to the site. Among writing, her other hobbies include dancing, playing the viola, trying out new sports with her IM team, organizing social events for her sorority, and of course-storytelling. Alex is known to be as fun and feisty as her leopard print wardrobe.