Campus Celebrity: Nola Liu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.
Name: Nola Liu 

Hometown: I was born in Knoxville, TN. However, I really consider Williamsburg to be my hometown since I’ve lived here for the majority of my life. 

Major/Minor: Double major in Biology and Kinesiology and Health Sciences 

Campus Clubs and Organizations: I am currently Kiwanis Vice President for Circle K International, a site leader for Branch Out Regional, and an active volunteer/occasional shift leader for The Campus Kitchen Project at William & Mary. 

Hobbies: Yoga, Pilates, Kayaking, and Cooking. 

Aspirations: I find inspiration and passion through what I do with the community. My clubs that I am involved in and my current internship experience with a local nonprofit has really opened my eyes to how much the community can offer and the feeling of being connected with everyone is always rewarding. I also have a strong passion for food and in learning about all aspects of creating a sustainable food system. I think food is really the key way to bring health and wellness to a community. I want to further explore this from all different aspects from the grassroots level to policy making. For now, my goals are to take a gap year and get further experience and understanding. I’m very interested in applying for FoodCorps which specifically looks at preventing childhood obesity. Then, I would like to pursue a graduate program in the field of Public Health, Nutrition, or Food Science. We’ll see what happens from there! 

Memorable Quote: “That’s the best revenge of all: Happiness. Nothing drives people crazier than seeing someone have a good f***ing life”- Chuck Palahniuk 

Best William & Mary Tradition: I love Yule Log. I think it’s the perfect way to take a break from all the stress of finals. I enjoy everything about it from tossing the sprigs of holly into the fire to the hot cider and cookies! 

Favorite Book: I’m still in the process of reading it, but I really enjoy Cooked by Michael Pollan. He recognizes that cooking allows people to create, to put their own values into food, to escape the industrialized food system, and really has a special place in this world. 

Favorite Food from the W&M Cafeterias: I’ve been off meal plan since sophomore year, but I really enjoy the breakfast options they have at the Marketplace! 

Must Watch Movies: I saw the film, Beasts of the Southern Wild, at the Global Film Festival last year and immediately fell in love with the amazing cinematography, soundtrack, and of course the character, Hushpuppy. Another film that I really want to see that my friend recommended is Haute Cuisine. It’s a french film that I think any foodie would love. 

Favorite TV show character: I’m obsessed with Scandal. I love any TV show that showcases a powerful, strong female character. Olivia Pope definitely embraces all those aspects.