Campus Celebrity: Marcus Thornton ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Year: Class of 2015

Major: Kinesiology

Hometown: Prince George’s County, Maryland

Favorite W&M memory: Last year’s CAA tournament

How would you describe your sense of style? It’s simple & laid back.  I don’t like to do too much, and I choose pieces that can speak for themselves without having a lot going on.

Who is your celebrity crush? Jhene Aiko

What’s your favorite movie? Love Don’t Cost A Thing

Describe the proudest moment you’ve had in your life. Winning Gatorade State Player of the Year in Maryland during my senior year of high school.

What is the best advice you have ever received? “Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart.”

Tell me how you got started playing basketball and why the sport is important to you. I started playing basketball when I was 6 years old.  My older brother and sister both played in high school when I was coming up, so I’d often go to their games and shoot with my brother in our backyard. After years of watching and playing recreationally, I finally joined an organized team at 9 years old.  Basketball is important to because it’s something I absolutely love.  I love playing the game.  It’s opened so many doors in my life and has allowed me to travel and to meet new people.  Because of basketball, I have been able to form great friendships with individuals who are important in my life today.

What are your post-graduate plans?  If the opportunity presented itself, I’d like to keep playing basketball professionally whether that is through the NBA or a basketball league overseas.

In three words, how would you describe yourself? Laid back, prideful, and hard-working.

How would you like to be remembered by those who know you?  I’d like to be seen as someone who is honest, self-driven, determined, and appreciative.