Campus Celebrity: Katie Lang ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Campus Celebrity: Katie Lang

Year: Junior (Class of 2018)

Major(s): Geology and Anthropology

Hometown: Chesapeake, VA

Activities on Campus: Co-Editor In Chief of The Colonial Echo (W&M’s Yearbook), member of the Geology club, member of W&M’s chapter for the Association for Women Geoscientists, as well as a member of Gamma Phi Beta

Describe Yourself in Three Words: dedicated, loyal, and grounded  

What is Your Go-To Starbucks Order? Passionfruit Iced Tea

What Is Your Spirit Animal and Why? A Wombat because they’re small, strong, intelligent and resilient! Bonus: They live in Australia!

What’s Your Favorite Part of William and Mary? The people! I have met some of the most intelligent, caring, and hardworking people in the world that are right here at W&M. I love the fact that there’s people from all over the world who go here that continuously make it their own, yet are not afraid to teach everyone else about their cultures and customs. W&M represents the all that a college community should be: diverse, historic, and a safe place to expand one’s own view and understanding of the world.

How Did You Get Involved With Research on Campus? What is the Best Part of Doing Research on Campus? I was a member of W&M’s 2015 archaeological field school and liked it so much that I ended up volunteering in Professor Gallivan’s lab last year! During the second semester, I got the opportunity to complete a ceramics inventory analysis from pre-contact Native Americans in this area and present my findings at a regional conference. I firmly believe that the best part of doing research is being able to answer research questions that contribute to our understanding of our surroundings! Also working with artifacts that are hundreds to thousands of years old is quite simply amazing.

What Is One Thing On Your Bucket List? I want to travel everywhere (Mars included)

What is One Piece of Advice You Have For Freshman (or anyone)? Don’t be afraid to be you! If you’re weird, funny, awkward, smart, or even unsure of what you want to do with you life, don’t lose sight of who you are. Treat yourself often! (You deserve it!)

If You Were President of the College for a Day, What Would You Do? I’d go around all day trying to impersonate President Reveley’s distinct twang! I’d also give everyone a cute little succulent plant to brighten their day!

What is Something Someone Would Be Surprised to Learn About You? I have gold medals (highest achievements) in both Ice Skating and Dressage (Horseback Riding)!

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.
Dana Florczak is an English major at the College of William and Mary, with aspirations of being the boss when she grows up. She loves talking about herself in the third person.