Campus Celebrity: Joellyn Francis ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Name: Joellyn Francis

Hometown: Raleigh, NC

Major: Biology major with a Religious Studies minor

Activities: Chi Omega and president of Passing Notes (one of the all female a cappella groups on campus!)

Describe yourself in three words: Compassionate, Strong, Witty

When did you first get into music? I grew up in a family who sang and harmonized in almost every breath. So my love of music has always been around since before I can remember. I still get chills when I hear my Papa sing in church and I’m really happy to be able to share music with my family as a whole.

What is your favorite thing about William and Mary? My favorite thing about William & Mary is the opportunity to meet and make friendships with so many brilliant, dynamic and passionate people that will last long after we graduate.

What song are you embarrassed to know all the words to? How We Roll by Alvin and the Chipmunks

If you were president of W&M for a day, what would you do? I would give everyone 4.0’s so that they could focus on fun and frolicking instead of stressing out.

What advice do you have for freshman? To freshman I would say: You’re good enough and stronger than you think. Don’t get discouraged and focus on what you’re grateful for. Four years goes by faster than you think!

What song would you use to describe Passing Notes? I think Cheetah Sisters by the Cheetah Girls best describes Passing Notes. It’s corny but we really do “make up one big family though we don’t look the same”.

Fun Fact: Joellyn is also on YouTube! Check out her and her friend Danny’s cover of Stand by Me/Brokenhearted here!

Phoebe is a senior at W&M double majoring in economics and classical civilization. When not writing articles, she can be found streaming Netflix, watching her beloved Washington Wizards, and finding ways to procrastinate on things that actually need to get done.
Dana Florczak is an English major at the College of William and Mary, with aspirations of being the boss when she grows up. She loves talking about herself in the third person.