Breaking Bad Habits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Sometimes breaking a bad habit is a mind over matter process. Start your spring off right! Here are 6 bad habits and how to break them! 

Boredom Snacking

Source

Why do people eat when they are not even hungry? Who knows? Just like the 2014 Weight Watchers commercial says, when people are sad, anxious, scared, lonely, sleepy, stressed, or whatever emotion or condition they are experiencing, they often reach for a snack.

To avoid boredom snacking and overeating, try dining with smaller and lighter-colored plates. A study conducted at Cornell University studied student partygoers and how much pasta they ate, depending on the color of their plates. The results were significant, with students with low-contrast between the food and plates (red pasta on a red plate, or white pasta on a white plate) served themselves approximately 32 grams, or 22% than students with high contrast between food and plates (red pasta on a white plate, or white pasta on a red plate).

Late Night Eating Source

Is eating late at night as bad as people say? A statement from WebMD from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Weight Control Information Network web site states, “It does not matter what time of day you eat. It is what and how much you eat and how much physical activity you do during the whole day that determines whether you gain, lose, or maintain your weight.” Additionally, Women’s Health Magazine commented, “”A calorie is a calorie,” says Mass. “If your total calorie intake for the day is greater than what you are burning, this can lead to weight gain regardless of what time it is.”” But if you eat healthy, regular meals throughout the day and typically have dinner around 8 p.m., there’s no reason to stress.

To avoid eating late, eat your main meals earlier. It sounds simple and easy to execute, but being a busy college student with a hectic schedule can make meal planning a large task. Another thing you can try is adapting low calorie alternatives such as tea, fruit or veggies. Most importantly, try not to save the majority of your caloric intake for the midnight hours. 

Worrying Way Too Much

Source

Why do humans worry? Science shows that from an evolutionary perspective, worrying does have a purpose in our lives. In order to recognize members of our own tribe, the safer areas to reside in, and what foods to steer clear of, some skepticism and negativity was necessary to survive a long time ago.

Worrying too much can be avoided by engaging in healthy activities that “improve your mood”. Examples of simple stress relieving activities are dancing, drawing or sketching, cooking, jogging or walking, and talking to others. Additionally, you can help friends and family limit their stress level by helping them focus on the positive, which in turn makes you think positively! Enjoy life by learning from the ups and the downs and try to make each moment matter.

Skipping Breakfast

Source

To skip or not to skip breakfast? WebMD suggests that skipping meals like breakfast can actually make regulating body weight more difficult. Your weight is the last thing you want to worry about during college! Whether you are trying to lose weight, maintain weight, or gain weight, breakfast has an essential role in regulating the speed of your metabolism which impacts your eating patterns. So choose breakfast!

How can you make eating breakfast easier? For starters, keep breakfast simple. Granola bars are a smart choice to eat, as they are high in fiber, low in sugar, and there are infinite amounts of flavors to choose from. Fresh fruit is an excellent choice: you can get apples, bananas, and oranges from the Caf and they don’t need to be refrigerated. Keep breakfast fresh, simple, and part of your daily routine!

Overcaffeination

Source

College students are drinking too much coffee? Never! Caffeine has beneficial and negative aspects. WebMD includes both the uses and potential side effects of caffeine. For example, caffeine is often used for tension headaches or migraines. But too much caffeine may lead to gastrointestinal issues, insomnia, and anxiety. Sure, caffeine can provide a quick buzz to get you through the morning, several hours, or the entire day. But caffeine does not provide sustainable energy unless you keep drinking it.

Too much of anything can hurt your body, and coffee is no exception. Instead of always turning to a cup of java, try these natural energy boosters!

1.     Hot Water with Lemon

2.     Kiwi

3.     Cocoa or Dark Chocolate

4.     Hydrating fruits and vegetables

Procrastination

Source

Why do people procrastinate? There is no one answer. A recent article from Bustle.com, How To Stop Procrastinating In 15 Steps provided 15 steps to overcoming procrastination for good. They highlighted that people should write down any personal pitfalls they have experienced from procrastination. Additionally, they explained that taking breaks, especially when studying, is essential. Always remember to give your brain a rest!

The key to overcoming procrastination is to get organized! A day-to-day planner is perfect… if you actually use it day to day. It’s easy to get side tracked and forget to write down your assignments with the hustle and bustle of college life. So if an old-fashioned planner is not for you, there are phone apps you can use for planning and organizing your life.

Breaking bad health habits is never easy. With the help and support of others, negative habits can be reversed and healthier practices can become second nature! 

Source

Cover Photo Source