The Best Class I’ve Taken at William and Mary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

One of the perks of being a William and Mary student is having the privilege to take a wide variety of classes taught by some of the best professors in the country. But, we can sometimes forget this during the class registration periods, when we become solely focused on securing the classes we need to check off our requirements to graduate. However, when we actually take the time to look at all of the classes offered, we can find classes that will stir new passions in us, open our eyes to different perspectives, or even classes that are just plain fun! For me personally, I have two favorite classes. The first was my freshman seminar, Emerging Diseases. I could have selected from many seminars, but I found Emerging Diseases to be the most intriguing. The class covered more than just science, and I was able to explore topics that were of special interest to me. My other favorite class was one in the Russian Department called Murder, Madmen, and Mayhem. This class was so fun and a nice break from all of my required courses. We discussed detective/spy literature and film. In taking this class, I was able to learn more about a genre I already loved, and gained a greater appreciation for the subject.  To get different perspectives, I asked several William and Mary students about their favorite class. Here are their responses:

Anonymous, Class of 2018:

Favorite Class: Adventure Games

“We did a lot of fun activities, such as zip lining and high ropes challenges. You will make a lot of friends in this class and you will have the opportunity to really challenge yourself. It’s a great break from the classroom too!”

Abigail Marie, Class of 2018:

Favorite Class: Faulkner

“Professor Donaldson is not only extremely knowledgeable on everything Faulkner, but she also brings out the best in her students. Faulkner also wrote a vast range of stories that beg the question of how stories can be told.”

Anonymous, Class of 2018:

Favorite Class: Magic in the Ancient World

“Where else can you learn about magic, demons, witches, and monsters? It’s a 400 level classics course, and the focus is mainly on Ancient Greece and Rome. The material is absolutely fascinating, and the course work really isn’t all that bad.”

Rachel Morgan, Class of 2019:

Favorite Class: Study of Language

“This class introduced me to the Linguistic discipline and solidified my desire to major in Linguistics.  It is a great survey of the subject and it makes you think about language in a whole new way.  If you’re considering majoring in Linguistics or simply want a fun and interesting class to take, I would highly recommend this class!”

Macky, Class of 2018:

Favorite Class: Japanese Food Culture

“For those of you learning Japanese, Tomoko Kato’s food culture class is a must. This course is taught entirely in Japanese, and it is incredibly helpful in cementing reading/writing/listening skills. This class is a broad survey of Japanese dietary culture, and essays and research projects are sprinkled in. i.e. there are a multitude of opportunities to write, speak, and present in Japanese. This class is strong because it is entirely immersive. Also, you get to taste Japanese food and learn to make it yourself! Kato Sensei is an engaging teacher and a joy to be around. Definitely consider this class!”

Anonymous, Class of 2018:

Favorite Class: History of the Nuclear World

“I love this class because it broadens your perspectives on the history and development of all forms of nuclear weapons and energy. This class is so important to take because Professor Kitamura is so helpful, inclusive, encouraging, and insightful towards all viewpoints. This class is also very relevant to current events happening today.”

Image Source

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.