element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Christmas Songs on the Radio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

December means Christmas songs on the radio all day every day, with at least several different stations completely devoted to Christmas music. If you’re like me, you like to listen to the Christmas station hosted by Delilah, the Seattle based radio show host whose voice is broadcasted on stations across the United States. Her segments are characterized by her soothing voice, constant advertisements about tea, and terrible relationship advice. (I love her.)

In any case, these radio stations can start to get repetitive and by the end of the Christmas season, you’ll know exactly which songs you can expect to hear. Without further ado, here are the top thirteen songs you’ll hear on the radio playing all season long:

1. Santa Claus is Coming to Town by Bruce Springsteen

This live recording was made during a 1970s gig in Long Island, and it has been a staple of Christmas music ever since. As a Jersey native, all of Bruce Springsteen’s music is important to me, but this song may be the greatest of his collection.  I love yelling along to the sweet, sweet rumbles of Bruce.

2. Last Christmas by Wham!

Taylor Swift just doesn’t bring the same emotion to the table as the original, heart wrenching recording. This has been my favorite Christmas song since I was a very young child. It may be one of the best songs of all time.

3. The Grinch by Thurl Ravenscroft

I wish this song came on the radio more often. It’s rare, but it’s literally fantastic. The deep rumbling bass of Thurl Ravenscroft is arguably the best thing that came out of the original Grinch film.

4. All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey

This is the modern Christmas classic of our era and generation. I honestly don’t even know half the words but I do know every note of Mariah’s opening riff.

5. All of Michael Bublé’s Christmas Album, Christmas

When this album came out every song on it was instantly a Christmas Classic.

6. Happy Xmas (War is Over) by John Lennon

The cover version of this song by Sarah McGlothlin is also frequently on the radio and is possibly one of the most upbeat songs Sarah McGlothlin sings. It’s kind of strange, but catchy and literally almost always playing. You know what they say, a children’s choir really makes Christmas.

7. Wonderful Christmastime by Paul McCartney

John Lennon isn’t the only Beatle who was writing Christmas Music. And just as expected, Paul McCartney’s song is full of cheer and simplicity, while Lennon’s is filled with wistful political rage.

8. Feliz Navidad by José Feliciano

Who doesn’t love Feliz Navidad? It’s full of joy and has the easiest lyrics to learn of all time.

9. Jingle Bell Rock by Brenda Lee

The joyful opening chorus and twanging guitar immediately let you know that you’re about to hear one of the essential songs of the season. Literally any version that is not Brenda Lee should probably not be played on the radio.

10. Mele Kalikamaka by Bing Crosby

I like this song because I too would like to spend Christmas in Hawaii.

11. Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley

Elvis’ drawling voice is the only one I want to hear singing about wanting to be with his sweetheart on Christmas. Elvis gets it.

12. The Beach Boy’s Christmas Album

Let’s be honest, Little Saint Nick is amazing, but their entire Christmas album was a gift.

13. The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don’t Be Late) by Alvin & the Chipmunks

Okay, a questionable choice for sure. I think this is the best (only good) chipmunk song out there, and the line about the hula hoop, the only line of the song I think anyone knows, is adorable.

If you’re looking for a little variation, I would highly recommend listening to Iggy Pop’s rendition of White Christmas and Sufjan Steven’s version of Once in Royal David’s City. You’ll have to flip through quite a few stations to find them, so maybe this season it will finally be time to make a new Christmas mixtape!

Happy Holidays!

Abby is a current senior at William & Mary majoring in English and minoring in French. She plans to attend law school after college. When she isn't in class, she can be found knitting, drinking coffee way too late at night and trying to play frisbee.